Re: Visual exploration of linked data with the Information Workbench and Microsoft Pivot

John Erickson wrote:
> A reminder that Pivot requires:
>
> * Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1
> * Microsoft Internet Explorer 8
> * Microsoft Window 7 (XP not supported)
> * Microsoft Windows Aero
> * Pivot only displays in English (US).

And if using VMWare, you need Fusion 3.0 which then works with Aero.

Without understanding the above, the setup process is extremely frustrating.

Frustration aside, Microsoft have delivered an innovative faceted
browsing mechanism that takes URIs out of scope re. human aspect of user
interaction (i.e. HTTP user agents can still get at URIs but that's down
the machine interaction dimension).

Pivot is going to be an integral part of the Silverlight RIA runtime,
and this runtime is going to be available to all the major browser.

Kingsley
> Just sayin'...
>
> On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 8:43 AM, Peter Haase <peter.haase@fluidops.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> we would like to announce a demonstrator showing Microsoft's Pivot as an
>> interface for the visual exploration of linked data.
>> The application uses Pivot as a frontend to the Information Workbench,
>> integrating DBpedia and several other LOD data sets.
>>
>> Try it at http://iwb.fluidops.com/pivot
>>
>> Some key features are:
>>
>> - support for structured (SPARQL) and unstructured (keyword) queries
>> - visual exploration and analysis of query results
>> - query refinement and data exploration using pivot operations
>>
>> The demonstrator requires Microsoft Pivot, http://getpivot.com/.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Peter

President & CEO