Re: Improving Organization of Govt. based Linked Data Projects

Danny Ayers wrote:
> On 20 March 2010 21:18, Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com> wrote:
>
>> All,
>>
>> I continue to struggle with easy discovery of Government oriented Linked
>> Data (UK and U.S. are examples). Basically, a long time ago, we established
>> some core principles for Linked Open Data published to the Web. The
>> components where broken down as follows:
>>
>> 1. Publish RDF Data Set archive URLs to a well known location --
>> http://esw.w3.org/DataSetRDFDumps
>> 2. Publish SPARQL Endpoints -- e.g., <http://esw.w3.org/SparqlEndpoints>
>> 3. Publish Linked Data -- an home page or deeply linked URI will do.
>>

> I suspect (and hope) 1 & 2 are redundant if you have 3.

Yes, if #3 provides pointers to #1 & #2.
> >From what I've heard from the w3c eGov list and bits of offlist chat,
> it's still early days for getting government data out there. There
> seems to be a lot of momentum, but right now it's directed towards
> local issues, getting data into a Web-friendly form (I hate to use the
> term "legacy", but a lot of the time it does seem to apply - the
> source material is buried in a spreadsheet or even a pdf document).
> Getting the stuff translated & exposed, linked into the rest of the
> world (beyond just shared vocabs) will be phase 2 I expect.
>

>> DBpedia still provides a very nice template for the above.
>>

> Absolutely.
>
> It's worth noting that for the gov depts to maintain credibility, that
> provenance information should be associated with any data exposed - a
> minor technical hassle, in most cases likely fulfilled by manual
> annotation. (see the Open Provenance Model, if I understand being
> RDFized in data.gov.uk http://openprovenance.org/).

Yes, certainly !

> A related issue (that Jeni Tennison has raised) is the question of
> authority over the statements. I believe she has the right idea, that
> to link gov data into e.g. dbpedia, intermediary graphs are necessary,
> to ring fence the levels of commitment between the national,
> centralised expression of "facts" and those other facts we know and
> love from the social-web world.

I think this applies to anything that references DBpedia but not created
by the core project members. If you recall, there have been a number of
DBpedia linksets (see the mailing list archives) from across the LOD
community that we've loaded into the DBpedia instance, using distinct
graph IRIs etc..

>> Unfortunately, most of the Govt oriented Linked Data projects haven't quite
>> adopted the scheme above thereby making the process of discovering items 1-3
>> quite tedious.
>>

> Your impatience is understandable, but from what I can gather, things
> are progressing...

I only get demonstrably impatient when the message (easily perceived as
a marketing message) gets out of sync with the actual deliverables.

Linked Data is about LINKs, so whenever there is talk of Linked Data
there should be a LINK in place to materialize the value prop. of a
given Linked Data Space. The LINK in question should really be a conduit
to SPARQL endpoint, Data Set URLs etc., since value prop. imbibers are
going to be varied -- naturally.

>> Suggestions:
>>
>> I think we can tackle this problem by doing the following:
>>
>> 1. Use the moniker Linked Open Govt Data (LOGD) for all Govt. oriented
>> Linked Data projects
>>

> Where? A good idea in principle, but we don't really yet have the
> material in place to justify a shared e.g. mailing list.

This is just about reference, no different to saying: LOD.

>> 2. Use #hashtag #logd on Twitter and "logd" for tagging on del.cio.us -- one
>> data is on del.icio.us or Twitter, its basically part of LOD via RDFizers
>> etc..
>>

> That sounds reasonable. Anything that can help human discovery can't
> hurt machine discovery.

That's basically my point :-)

Kingsley
>> So Far I have: