Re: Improving Organization of Govt. based Linked Data Projects

On 21 Mar 2010, at 12:47, Hugh Glaser <hg@ecs.soton.ac.uk> wrote:

> Hi Kingsley, I am right with you - finding stuff is hard.
> But I do think we could make it easier for all of us.
> Just the esw wiki alone requires me to put every set I create into a
> bunch of places

10 years ago, looking for RDF on the public Web was like looking for a
needle in a haystack. There wasnt much out there and it was poorly
linked. So a big part of the thinking that led to the foaf/rdfweb
design was to make discovery easier: if you find one rdf doc, you
should be able to find most of the rest by following seeAlso and other
kinds of links.

Why isn't this enough? Perhaps because many of the datasets are huge
db exports, crawlers are often overwhelmed and dissapear into depth-
first holes? Or because we don't publish triples about doc- and
dataset-types in a crawler-discoverable way?

A wiki page is ok for initial bootstrap but we ought to outgrow that
soon...

Dan