Re: How to handle HTTP 301, 410

Kingsley Idehen wrote:
> Nathan wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I'm mainly wondering.. what the Linked Data implications of the
>> following are:
>>
>> 301 Moved Permanently
>>    The requested resource has been assigned a new permanent URI and any
>>    future references to this resource SHOULD use one of the returned
>>    URIs.  Clients with link editing capabilities ought to automatically
>>    re-link references to the request-target to one or more of the new
>>    references returned by the server, where possible. [1]
>>
> Representation of Data Object Description has new URL. Based on this
> response, the calling user agent *may* update its local relation between
> Data Object and the URL of the Resource that bears its Description
> (Representation). This is where an explicit "isDescribeBy" relation
> comes in handy re. Object Identifier association with Resource bearing
> its Description.

I really think isDescribedBy is a good idea for many reasons, in this
context I'm unsure though (more below).

Unsure with regards "Representation of Data Object Description has new
URL" as the documentation is pretty explicit in saying "resource has
been assigned a new permanent URI".

For instance if I changed by WebID and moved my FOAF profile at some
point in the future I would potentially see this as a mechanism of
informing all those who deference my "old" WebID about my new WebID,
with the additional note that they should now use "new URI" as by WebID.
I guess I'd probably expect people to create something like <newid>
replaces <oldid>; and then use new from here on..

>> 410 Gone
>>    The requested resource is no longer available at the server and no
>>    forwarding address is known.  This condition is expected to be
>>    considered permanent.  Clients with link editing capabilities SHOULD
>>    delete references to the request-target after user approval. [2]
>>
> Representation of Data Object Description is no longer available here. I
> also have no clue as to if such a thing exists elsewhere. Based on this
> response,  the calling user agent *may* decide to discard all references
> to this Data Object.

as above