RE: National Identification Number URIs ( NIN URIs )

From: Andy Powell <andy.powell@eduserv.org.uk>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2010 15:45:12 +0000
To: 'Norman Gray' <norman@astro.gla.ac.uk>, 'Kingsley Idehen' <kidehen@openlinksw.com>
CC: 'Linked Data community' <public-lod@w3.org>
> David Booth's excellent [1] "Converting New URI Schemes or URN Sub-
> Schemes to HTTP" is a discussion of the mapping between URNs or other
> non-HTTP identifiers, and (cool) HTTP ones.  I summarise it as "it's OK
> to have both"

Hmmm... the paper ends with:

"HTTP URIs with specialized prefixes provide greater capability than URIs based on new URI schemes or URN sub-schemes in virtually all cases.  Furthermore, such HTTP URIs seem better equipped to survive the test of time than URIs based on new URI schemes or URN sub-schemes."

which hardly seems like a ringing endorsement of "it's OK to have both"?

Andy

[1] http://www.dbooth.org/2006/urn2http/

--
Andy Powell