Re: National Identification Number URIs ( NIN URIs )

Hi.

On 08/03/2010 01:15, "Kingsley Idehen" <kidehen@openlinksw.com> wrote:

> Aldo Bucchi wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> All countries have a National Identification Number scheme ( NIN ).
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_identification_number
>>
>> Also, all countries have code points in different schemes.
>>
>> So, can't we combine both to create a de-facto URI for people based on
>> country ids?
>>
>> For example: http://dbpedia.org/nin/cl/14168212
>> That would be me based on my Chilean NIN.
>>
>> Is there some namespace for this already?
>>
> Don't use DBpedia namespace in this manner.
>
> Why not encourage people to do this:
>
> urn:country.person.id.{national-id}
Although superficially a nice idea, for me the answer to your question would
be that it would not longer be Linked Data.
Design Issue Number 2 (http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/LinkedData.html) says:
"Use HTTP URIs so that people can look up those names."
I wholeheartedly agree with this statement.
doi, urn suck.
It is hard to work out what they mean (resolve), and even if I can it is not
a distributed (web) system.

But I do agree that subverting dbpedia for this would not be a good thing to
do.

Maybe okkam or another project/company wants to step into the gap?

Best
Hugh