Re: Subjects as Literals, [was Re: The Ordered List Ontology]

Pat Hayes wrote:

> On Jun 30, 2010, at 1:30 PM, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
>
>> Nathan wrote:

>>> Could we also apply that to the 'subjects as literals' general
>>> discussion that's going on then?
>>>
>>> For example I've heard people saying that it encourages bad 'linked
>>> data' practise by using examples like { 'London' a x:Place } -
>>> whereas I'd immediately counter with { x:London a 'Place' }.
>>>
>>> Surely all of the subjects as literals arguments can be countered
>>> with 'walk round it', and further good practise could be aided by a
>>> few simple notes on best practise for linked data etc.
>>
>> IMHO an emphatic NO.
>>
>> RDF is about constructing structured descriptions where "Subjects"
>> have Identifiers in the form of Name References (which may or many
>> resolve to Structured Representations of Referents carried or borne
>> by Descriptor Docs/Resources). An "Identifier" != Literal.
>
> What ARE you talking about? You sound like someone reciting doctrine.
>
> Literals in RDF are just as much 'identifiers' or 'names' as URIs are.
> They identify their value, most clearly and emphatically. They denote
> in exactly the same way that URIs denote. "23"^^xsd:number   is about
> as good an identification of the number twenty-three as you are ever
> likely to get in any notational system since ancient Babylonia.

Yes, but ancient Bablyonia != World Wide Web of Structured Linked Data,
slightly different mediums with some shared characteristics :-)

The World Wide Web is becoming a Distributed DBMS (in my eyes). Thus,
unambiguous naming matters.

Literal Subjects aren't a "show stopper" per se. (esp. for local RDF
data). My gripe simply boils down to the nuisance factor introduced by
data object name ambiguity in a distributed data object oriented realm
such as the emerging Web of Linked Data.

What does ""23"^^xsd:number " mean to anyone in a global data space? I
know the meaning of:
<http://km.aifb.kit.edu/projects/numbers/web/n23#this>, based on the
resource I deref at: <http://km.aifb.kit.edu/projects/numbers/web/n23>

Kingsley

> Pat Hayes
>

>> If you are in a situation where you can't or don't want to mint an
>> HTTP based Name, simply use a URN, it does the job.
>>

>>> Best,
>>>
>>> Nathan
>>>

>> --
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Kingsley Idehen          President & CEO OpenLink Software     Web:
>> http://www.openlinksw.com
>> Weblog: http://www.openlinksw.com/blog/~kidehen
>> Twitter/Identi.ca: kidehen

> IHMC                                     (850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973

President & CEO
OpenLink Software
Web: http://www.openlinksw.com
Twitter/Identi.ca: kidehen