Re: The Ordered List Ontology

Hi Graham,

thanks a lot for this suggestion. I spent some more time in making this
concept a bit more solid [1,2]. Here the features that I added/changed
in the v0.3 proposal (+ for added, ~for modified):

  + olo:next - to associate the next slot of a slot in an ordered list
  ~ olo:length - to enable a single length association to an ordered list
  ~ olo:length - rdfs:range xsd:positiveInteger (no empty lists!)
  ~ olo:index - to enable a single index association to a slot in an
ordered list
  ~ anonymous inverse property of olo:slot to rdfs:type
owl:FunctionalProperty

With that changes it should be possible

... to create a unique neighbourhood relation; the list ends if the slot
hasn't a neighbour (that means no is:next property is set)
... to associate a single index to a slot; however, this still not
prevents from inserting several slots with the same index
... to associate a single length to an ordered list

To model the unique relations for index and length I followed the
pattern from here[3].

I think, if the size of the ordered list is defined in its length, which
should be used by a rule for validation, why we need than another
property, which defines its max length (see also my thoughts about
practical application)?
I still believe that it isn't possible to guarantee full valid ordered
lists, without the use of some rules (only with the
rdf:first/rdf:next/rdf:nil pattern). However, rules are created for some
purpose, so why not use them (think practical here).
Another practical thought is, if something changes in the ordered list,
e.g. a new slot would be added, than the graph of the list will be
rewritten or a new one would be created (that depends on the used
revision mechanism).

Comments, suggestions, critics on the new proposal are very welcome.

Cheers,

Bob

[1]
http://motools.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/motools/orderedlistsonto/branches/orderedlistsonto_v03/rdf/orderedlistontology.n3