RE: URI's for Geogrid like Resource

From: Søren Roug <Soren.Roug@eea.europa.eu>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2010 14:30:59 +0200
To: Peter DeVries <pete.devries@gmail.com>, "public-lod@w3.org" <public-lod@w3.org>
I doubt that encoding the geospatial extent into the URI is a good idea. It would be preferable to add a bounding box property to existing resources. If you go to Wisconsin in GeoNames (http://linkeddata.uriburner.com/about/html/http/sws.geonames.org/5279468/) you'll see a "geo:geometry" property. It has the limitation that it can only handle points. But you could have an x:boundedBy property that takes four values. West, South, East, North.

Now, this matches your need for a geogrid URI, and it is quite easy to convert to KML. But as soon as you try to put a bounding box around USA, you run into problems with Hawaii and Alaska. My proposal allows you to have several bounding boxes inside an <rdf:Bag> or by just repeating the property.

Best regards,
Søren Roug