From: public-lod-request@w3.org [mailto:public-lod-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Peter DeVries
Sent: 11 June 2010 17:20
To: public-lod@w3.org
Subject: URI's for Geogrid like Resource

Hi LOD'ers,

In the GeoSpecies data set I have a predicate isExpectedIn.

This is used to state that a given species is expected in a geographical area.

Most of the time I use the geonames features as the object

So <http://linkeddata.uriburner.com/about/html/http/lod.geospecies.org/ses/mCcSp >
http://lod.geospecies.org/ses/mCcSp<http://linkeddata.uriburner.com/about/html/http/lod.geospecies.org/ses/mCcSp>
geospecies:isExpectedIn<http://linkeddata.uriburner.com/about/html/http/rdf.geospecies.org/ont/geospecies%01isExpectedIn>

§  http://sws.geonames.org/6255149/<http://linkeddata.uriburner.com/about/html/http/sws.geonames.org/6255149/>
§  http://sws.geonames.org/5279468/<http://linkeddata.uriburner.com/about/html/http/sws.geonames.org/5279468/>
§  http://sws.geonames.org/4862182/<http://linkeddata.uriburner.com/about/html/http/sws.geonames.org/4862182/>
§  http://sws.geonames.org/5037779/<http://linkeddata.uriburner.com/about/html/http/sws.geonames.org/5037779/>
§  http://sws.geonames.org/5001836/<http://linkeddata.uriburner.com/about/html/http/sws.geonames.org/5001836/>

I also do the reverse link so you can query what species are in what geonames feature

<!-- Wisconsin State Link Out -->

  <geospecies:State rdf:about="http://sws.geonames.org/5279468/">

    <geospecies:hasExpectationOf rdf:resource="http://lod.geospecies.org/ses/mCcSp"/>

  </geospecies:State>
At present this just get's me to county, and I have always wanted to get something that was more uniform and global.

This would need URI's that are of a grid equally sized polygons that are either equal in X, Y by either decimal degrees or meters.

I marked up this example, that is a one tenth decimal degree by 1 tenth decimal degree. It is rectangular in actual distance (meters/kilometers)

http://lod.taxonconcept.org/examples/geogrid/10/N93d0_37d1_W93d0_37d1.html

http://lod.taxonconcept.org/examples/geogrid/10/N93d0_37d1_W93d0_37d1.rdf

What I am wondering is, is there already an existing set of URI's that do the same sort of thing?

Has anyone been able to create valid RDFa that also works with GoogleMaps?

Thanks!

- Pete

Pete DeVries
Department of Entomology