Re: URI's for Geogrid like Resource

From: Peter DeVries <pete.devries@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 13:57:21 -0500
To: Bernard Vatant <bernard.vatant@mondeca.com>
Cc: public-lod <public-lod@w3.org>
Hi Bernard,

I was just looking through this spec yesterday. I am not sure. These would
be have circles of uncertainty around them, so to cover the earth they would
need to overlap.

I tried this

   <dcterms:Location rdf:about="geo:37.000000,-93.000000;u=10000">
     <geonames:name>Species Occurrence Area 37.000000, -93.000000
Uncertainty Radius 10,000 meters</geonames:name>
     <geonames:featureClass rdf:resource="http://www.geonames.org/ontology#S
     <geonames:featureCode rdf:resource="
     <geonames:inCountry rdf:resource="http://www.geonames.org/countries/#US
     <geonames:locationMap rdf:resource="
     <dcterms:partOf rdf:resource="
     <skos:closeMatch rdf:resource="http://sws.geonames.org/000000"/>

At http://lod.taxonconcept.org/examples/soa/N93d0_W37d0_10000.rdf

   Feature Class #S  .. spot, building, farm
   Feature Code  #OBPT ....observation point  a wildlife or scenic
observation point

What I would like to be able to do is make the following statements:

<http://lod.taxonconcept.org/ses/mCcSp#Species> <geospecies:isExpectedIn>

<geo:37.000000,-93.000000;u=10000> <geospecies:hasExpectationOf> <

Then you could do the following:

iPhone, iPad, Android

Get current GPS
  Choose Organismal Group (Plantae, Animalia, Reptilia etc.)

  Retrieve list of species expected in your current SOA (Species Occurrence
  with links to more information about them

- Pete

P.S. I made the kml with too many points so it does not seem to show up in
the html map page.

I have attached a smaller image of what shows up in GoogleEarth.

On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 10:44 AM, Bernard Vatant <bernard.vatant@mondeca.com
> wrote:

> Hi Peter
> Did you consider using URIs in the new geo: URI scheme defined by RFC 5870
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5870?
> Although I do not figure how such URIs fit in the Linked Data architecture,
> since they are not http URIS
>> This would need URI's that are of a grid equally sized polygons that are
>> either equal in X, Y by either decimal degrees or meters.
> RFC 5870 provides for uncertainty on positions, not sure this fit your
> needs
> Bernard
> --
> Bernard Vatant
> Senior Consultant
> Vocabulary & Data Engineering
> Tel:       +33 (0) 971 488 459
> Mail:     bernard.vatant@mondeca.com
> Mondeca
> 3, cité Nollez 75018 Paris France
> Web:    http://www.mondeca.com
> Blog:    http://mondeca.wordpress.com

Pete DeVries
Department of Entomology
University of Wisconsin - Madison
445 Russell Laboratories
1630 Linden Drive
Madison, WI 53706
GeoSpecies Knowledge Base
About the GeoSpecies Knowledge Base

(image/png attachment: buffer_small.png)