Re: Inclusion of additional (non dereferencable) data?

Jiří Procházka wrote:
> Hi Nathan,
>
> origin of this pattern is from RDF - graph is just a piece of paper
> where you can write any statements...
>
> But I understand - your view of Linked Data is much different,
> introducing more complex notions of things and their descriptions in
> which it is desirable, after getting a description, to identify the role
> which statements relating other things play.
>
> I see that someone could want to express statements which relate to the
> described thing - make sense from the point of view of its description
> but not being in the description received by dereferencing URIs of the
> subject/object of the statement or even contradicting it, perhaps maybe
> when in doubt of their future.
>
> Other than that I see it bad practice, because of the reasons you
> explained (out of date possibility being the most important).
> I believe Linked Data encourages dereferencing.
> What Linked Data brings into the Semantic Web puzzle is a recommended
> algorithm how to get data (follow your nose?) and maybe that is the
> thing you really are looking for...

Indeed :)

> I wonder if there is a need for vocabulary allowing people describe
> recommendations of URIs to surely dereference, or perhaps measurement of
> URI importance in the graph, feeding a more complex algorithm...

I'd suggest that this may not be a good idea (although I've considered
and suggest similar countless times myself) - there is no way to infer
what direction somebody will be looking at your links, or what
information people may be interested; it's entirely context specific - I
guess even if you were to give hints that X related document contained
information primarily of type Y, then this could itself be an
anti-pattern, the only true way to get the big picture and all the
information, is to do just that, 'GET' all the information.

At the back of my mind, there is a small realisation that the sooner we
(as a community) start designing our data in a way that encourages
dereferencing, the sooner we'll start doing more dereferencing ourselves
- which will soon bring to the fore all the important issues such as
http caching, providing granular access to data, and related :)

Best,

Nathan