Re: Organization ontology

On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 12:54 PM, Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com> wrote:
> Peristeras, Vassilios wrote:
>>
>> Hello all,
>> I have the feeling that we are (at least partly) reinventing the wheel
>> here. There have been several initiatives drafting generic models and
>> representations for organizations. Just two examples below [1][2] which
>> patterns literature
>> could also help a lot. I have the feeling that others before this group
>> have defined concepts like "organization", "legal entity" etc... We
>> could re-use their conceptual (or data or formal) models, instead of
>> starting the discussion from scratch. Best regards,
>> Vassilios
>>
>> [1] http://www.aiai.ed.ac.uk/project/enterprise/enterprise/ontology.html
>> [2] http://www.eil.utoronto.ca/enterprise-modelling/tove/

> Both of your links point to PDFs or Postscript docs.
>
> Are there any actual ontology doc URLs?

The enterprise ontology page is HTML and describes availability as
"The formal Ontolingua encoding of the Enterprise Ontology is held in
the Library of Ontologies maintained by Stanford University's
Knowledge Systems Lab (KSL)."

http://www-ksl-svc.stanford.edu:5915/FRAME-EDITOR/UID-15908&sid=ANONYMOUS&user-id=ALIEN

"Last modified: Monday, 31 May 2010" sounds fresher than I expected.

There's LISP here:
http://www-ksl-svc.stanford.edu:5915/FRAME-EDITOR/UID-15901&sid=ANONYMOUS&user-id=ALIEN#ENTERPRISE-ONTOLOGY

I guess there must be an OWL conversion tool around somewhere.  I've
copied Mike Uschold who may have more to say on this...

cheers,

Dan