RE: Show me the money - (was Subjects as Literals)

Henry Story wrote:

>So just as a matter of interest, imagine a new syntax came along that
>allowed literals in
>subject position, could you not write a serialiser for it that turned
>
>"123" length 3 .
>
>Into
>
>_:b owl:sameAs "123";
>   length 3.

But this is not an equivalent translation in RDF(S).

The URI owl:sameAs has no specific meaning in RDF(S); you could likewise
write "ex:yz" instead. Only OWL tools, or at least RDF(S) tools with
additional support for owl:sameAs would be able to understand what you are
intending here. For other RDF tools, you are just asserting that there is
some resource with two properties, but the values of these two properties
are in no way related to each other -- quite in contrast to the original
triple.

So this should certainly not be suggested as "best practice" in an RDF
context.

Michael

--
Dipl.-Inform. Michael Schneider
Research Scientist, Information Process Engineering (IPE)