Re: Subjects as Literals, [was Re: The Ordered List Ontology]

On Jul 2, 2010, at 6:52 AM, Kingsley Idehen wrote:

> Pat Hayes wrote:

>>> Pat,
>>>
>>> Re. RDF's triples, What is a Subject? What is an Object?.
>>
>> "subject' refers to the first element in a triple, "object" to the
>> last. One might as well call them 'first' and 'third'. The names
>> 'subject' and 'object' are used purely for convenience, and have no
>> formal or semantic significance.
>>

>>> If they are the same thing, why on earth do we use Names (with
>>> implications) to describe the slots in an RDF triple?
>>
>> I do not understand the question here well enough to provide an
>> answer. Have you actually read the RDF spec documents? The RDF
>> syntax model and the semantics?
>
> You don't understand the question enough to provide an answer, but
> you are able to compute an assessment of spec assimilation. WOW !!

The logic here is: if you had understood the specs, you wouldn't be
asking such a damn silly question as you appear to be asking. So, I
conclude to myself, I must be misunderstanding your question. Unless,
of course, you havn't actually read the specs...

>>> I've only once seen the RDF triple referred to as O-R-O (by
>>> @danbri) i.e., Object-Relation-Object.
>>
>> IF you read the specs, however, it is abundantly clear that this is
>> what an RDF triple means, viz. that a relation holds between two
>> objects (I prefer "things", but....).
>
> Exactly!

? I thought you were arguing *against* this view ?

> So why: Subject-Predicate-Object  (SPO) everywhere re. RDF?

As I said, the terminology is used so as to make it easier to refer to
the various parts of a triple. Yes, triples are ordered. The
'linguistic' flavor of the SPO terminology is an unfortunate accident
of history. In other forums, people talk of 'first' and 'second'
'argument positions', which  for many people has the unpleasant
metallic taste of mathematics. But its the same thing they are talking
about.

But in any case, even if I agree that (in spite of the RDF spec),
there is something intuitively significant about the idea of a
'subject', I still don't see (to return to the thread topic) why a
literal should not count as a perfectly good name for the subject of a
description. Literals denote a rather limited range of things, to be
sure: strings, numbers, dates, etc.. ; but these things are real
things, and some of them play their small but nontrivial roles in our
lives, so why should they be arbitrarily excluded from the universe of
topics that can be the legitimate subjects of a description?

> O-R-O reflects what you've just described.

And what I just described is what the RDF spec says, in mind-numbing
detail.

> Like many of the RDF oddities (playing out nicely in this thread),
> you have an O-R-O but everyone talks about S-P-O.
>
> "Subject" has implicit meaning, it lends itself to describing
> stuff.  If I recall, RDF stands for: Resource Description Framework.
>
> I guess "Description" also means nothing?

Not at all. RDF is indeed a language for describing, just like any
other assertional logic. Descriptions are made up from assertions of
relationships between things. Each RDF triple is a little assertion.

>>> In addition, I don't see Information and Data as being the same
>>> thing. Information (as I know it) is about Data + Context.  Raw
>>> Data (as I know it) is about: a unit of observation and deemed
>>> worthy of description by its observer.  You have to give Names to
>>> subject of a description. "23"^^xsd:number  isn't a Name.
>>
>> Why do you say this? It is certainly as much a name as, say,
>> "Patrick J. Hayes". It is a well-formed string which denotes
>> something, and its denotation is perfectly clear, in fact
>> computable. So, it is a name. I challenge you to specify what you
>> mean by "Name" in such a way that it excludes literals as names,
>> other than by simply reiterating your bare claim that they are not.
>
> I mean an unambiguous Name for a Web of Semantically Linked Data.
>
> "Patrick J. Hayes" simply doesn't cut it as an unambiguous name
> within the aforementioned Web.

"simply doesn't cut it" simply doesn't cut it as any kind of
convincing argument. WHY does it not cut it? What is wrong with it as
a name? It is certainly not ambiguous, as you seem to imply. As
several people have pointed out, its hard to even imagine anything
less ambiguous than an RDF literal. It contains a link (a URI) to the
very specification which determines its own meaning. So, what other
problems do you see with it as a name?

Pat