Re: "destabilizing core technologies: was Re: An RDF wishlist

Bob Ferris wrote:
> Hi Ian,
>
> Am 02.07.2010 12:26, schrieb Ian Davis:
>> On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 11:13 AM, Bob Ferris<zazi@elbklang.net>  wrote:
>>> Hi Ian,

>>> I don't really believe that people would say after browsing dbpedia
>>> "I want
>>> to make one of those". That's not the User Experience users expect
>>> to get.
>>> Please remember the "Semantic-Web-UI" discussion last time. People are
>>> tending to use/experience richer visualisations of the
>>> data/knowledge/information in the background. I hear often,
>>> especially in
>>> the last time, the term 'story telling' - and that's it, I think.
>>

>> Actually there is a class of people that do say that. They want to be
>> the "dbpedia of X", whatever X is. No matter how much we can criticise
>> dbpedia for its appearance or data quality, we have to applaud the
>> fact that it defined a new category of service.
>
> You are right, I welcomed it also, when people are saying after they
> have browsed dbpedia - "I want to make one of those". However, I
> believe also that the number X representing these people, is much
> smaller as the number Y of people wanting a richer User Experience.
>
> Cheers,
>

> Bob

Bob,

Just as the DBpedia node lead to the LOD Cloud. There is similar
movement (vertical and horizontal) re. organizations seeking their
private and/or service specific variants.

You would be quite surprised at the number of DBpedia (and other LOD
cloud nodes) variants already operating as private lookup oriented data
spaces within organizations. This train left the station a long time ago.

People want the kind of valuable experience that dense lookup meshes
like DBpedia (and the rest of LOD) accord.

What is Google when all is said an done? A huge Table (geographically
splintered across a massive physical data storage complex).

People want to Find Stuff with Precision. That's one example of what
Linked Data ultimately delivers without the underlying costs of a Google
style data complex. We just need to continue to orient ourselves (Linked
Data technology vendors) towards better user interaction patterns that
align to problems that have reach breaking point with users.

Another example is an Open Social Web. Privacy matters, and there's lots
of stuff from the Linked Data realm (e.g. WebIDs,  FOAF+SSL, ACLs, Cloud
Storage etc..) that will make this happen too.

BTW - thanks to veering this conversation to the practical rather than
theoretical!

President & CEO
OpenLink Software
Web: http://www.openlinksw.com