Re: Show me the money - (was Subjects as Literals)

Patrick Durusau wrote:
> Henry,
>
> On 7/2/2010 6:03 AM, Henry Story wrote:

>>> I think you made a very good point about needing examples so user can
>>> say: "I want to do that."
>>>
>>> Which was one of the strong points of HTML.
>>>
>> Ok, what users will want is the Social Web. And here is the way to
>> convince people:
>> "The Social Network Privacy Mess: Why we Need the Social Web"
>>
>>     http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=994DvSJZyww&feature=channel
>>

>> ( This can of course be improved) The general ideas should be clear:
>>
>>   dystopia: we cannot have all social data centralised on one server.
>>   utopia: there is a lot of money to be made in creating the social
>> web, and thereby
>>      increasing democracy in the world.
>>
>>   This can ONLY be done with linked data. And there is a real need for
>> it.
>>

> Several presumptions:
>
> 1) "there is a lot of money to be made creating the social web" - ? On
> what economic model? Advertising? Can't simply presume that money can be
> made.

If I may :) I'd recommend having a read of the CloudStorage design issue
[1] - this puts forward not just a way to make money, but describes an
entirely new model/marketplace that opens doors for everybody to make
money, save money, become more efficient and have a waiting community
potentially the size of the web - regardless of whether they work in
their bedroom or are a multinational enterprise. For some inspiration
you need look no further than payswarm [2], the open market place or
almost anything good relations related. The 'social web' (powered by
linked data) is very much the enabler in all of this, which brings the
overall web right back to what it was designed to be, a social
collaborative space for the world to benefit from.

[1] http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/CloudStorage.html
[2] http://payswarm.com/

I'll hope that a read over the aforementioned cloud storage di will help
you align visions with henry on this a bit :)

Also, if I may - some of the meetings with Manu et al for payswarm are
very good listening http://payswarm.com/community/meetings/

Best!