Re: Show me the money - (was Subjects as Literals)

On 01.07.2010 22:44:48, Pat Hayes wrote:
>Jeremy, your argument is perfectly sound from your company's POV, but
>not from a broader perspective. Of course, any change will incur costs

Well, I think the "broader perspective" that the RDF workshop
failed to consider is exactly companies' costs and spec
marketability. The message still sent out is a crazy (or
"visionary" ;) research community creating spec after spec, with
no stability in sight. And with the W3C process not really
encouraging the quick or full refactoring of existing specs (like
getting rid of once recommended features), each spec adds *new*
features and increases the overall complexity of identifying
market-ready Recs: RIF seems to be a replacement for OWL, but
OWL2 was only just Rec'd. Which should I implement? RDFa 1.1 and
SPARQL 1.1 both look like implementation nightmares to me. Current
RDF stores can't even be used for semantic feed readers because of
poor "ORDER BY DESC(?date)" implementations, but the group is
already working on query federation. RDFa is becoming the new
RSS 1.0, with each publisher triggering the development of
dedicated parsers (one for SearchMonkey data, one for RichSnippets,
one for Facebook's OGP, etc., but a single interoperable one? Very
hard work.) Something is wrong here. Featuritis is the reason for
the tiny number of complete toolkits. It's extremely frustrating
when you know in advance that you won't be able to pass the tests
*and* have your own (e.g. performance) needs covered. Why start at
all then?

The W3C groups still seem to believe that syntactic sugar is
harmless. We suffer from spec obesity, badly. If we really want to
improve RDF, then we should go, well, for a low-carb layer cake.
Or better, several new ones. One for each target audience. KR pros
probably need OWL 2.0 *and* RIF, others may already be amazed by
"scoped key-value storage with a universal API" (aka triples + SPARQL).
These groups are equally important, but have to be addressed
differently.

Our problem is not lack of features (native literal subjects? c'mon!).
It is identifying the individual user stories in our broad community
and marketing respective solution bundles. The RDFa and LOD folks
have demonstrated that this is possible. Similar success stories are
probably RIF for the business rules market, OWL for the DL/KR sector,
and many more. (Mine is agile, flexi-schema website development.)

RDF "Next Steps" should be all about scoped learning material and
deployment. There were several workshop submissions (e.g. by Jeremy,
Lee, and Richard) that mentioned this issue, but the workshop outcome
seems to be purely technical. Too bad.

Benji

--
Benjamin Nowack