Re: Show me the money - (was Subjects as Literals)

Hi Dan, Kingsley

Happy to see you expose clearly those things that have been also in the
corner of my mind since Kingsley started to hammer the EAV drum a while ago.

I've been also in training and introduction to RDF insisted on the fact that
RDF was somehow just an avatar of the old paradigm EAV or however you name
it, and I think it's a good way to introduce it, and keep all the gory
aspects for later on, and in particular the syntactic mess (or should I say,
joyful diversity).

But I follow Dan on the fact that the Linked Data cloud has flourished on
top of RDF-XML, at least as exchange and publication format. And I must say
that what I see daily with data providers and consumers around Mondeca
applications is data coming in and out in RDF-XML, for better and worse
indeed. And for what I see, it's easier to have data providers now familiar
with XML understand RDF through RDF-XML, by making XML-friendly RDF. RDF-XML
has not to be ugly and unreadable and untractable, even if some tools have
never care about that (no names).
And as the grease-monkey in charge of migrating miscellaneous data to feed
the semantic engine, I'm still quite happy with the current
CSV-to-plain-XML-to-RDF-XML (via XSLT, yes) route.

And I will give you the short feedback of our CTO in Mondeca after reading
the output of RDFNext workshop. "Well, no canonical XML syntax?". Believe
me, all the rest he did not even care mentioning. Don't want to add to the
"I wish I'd been there" but I would myself exchange every other evolution
and future work for a canonical RDF-XML syntax. I know, I know, don't tell
me.

Bernard

--
Bernard Vatant