Re: Show me the money - (was Subjects as Literals)

Nathan wrote:
> Dan, Jeremy, Pat, Henry, Michael, Kinglsey, Ivan, ack.. everyone,
>
> Part of me feels like I should apologise for bringing this to the
> mailing list (even though it was inevitable) - this is all getting out
> of scope and the last thing we need is one of the most critical
> communities in what's a mini revolution to be split over such matters.
>
> Valid arguments from all sides, technical and not - but things are
> really getting conflated here, at least from what I originally
> intended to put forward (probably past that and insignificant now).
>
> I respect that everybody has made large investments, time, money,
> data, deployment, training and so forth; but really, non of that need
> be wasted and nobody need change anything that has any impact on any
> investments thus far.
>
> My (personal) concern is really on the 10 year timeline (a bit shorter
> to be honest ;), there are limitations and things in RDF that do,
> 100%, prevent the web of data as a whole from moving forwards -
> however, nobody has to scrap anything.
>
> Simply, define a non serialization specific model that caters for N3
> and RDF - then let each standard or serialization specify what it
> implements/supports - the point here, and I stress, isn't to break
> anything, but to open it up to innovation and allow the next decades
> worth of hacking to get going
>
> So RDF/XML is perhaps broken technically and doesn't support all these
> things, who cares? it obviously works just fine for a deployment of
> several billion triples, why change it? why not define it as a subset
> of some core model? - I can only see one reason not to, and I hate to
> say it, but some kind of pride that the work done thus far and
> commonly adopted *must* be seen to be 'perfect' - please, don't take
> that as any insult, as none is intended.
>
> There are clearly very strong opinions on both sides, and very valid
> reasons too - there's an easy solution that would keep everybody happy
> and allow all to get on being productive and innovative - why not
> enable this?
>
> In all honesty, if this doesn't happen, I personally will have no
> choice but to move to N3 for the bulk of things, and hope for other
> serializations of N3 to come along - I'd do that today, but you see
> I'm a huge linked data proponent and see almost unquantifiable gains
> from adopting linked data - but if what I do to get a full working
> model of the web of data doesn't qualify as valid RDF at some level
> and you all can't utilize it, then it's a wasted effort and a road to
> no where - this, is the real issue, and many others have hit it, and
> will hit it again and again as time moves on.
>
> Please, do consider, nobody need loose anything here
>
> Best,
>
> Nathan
>
> - :(
>
> Jeremy Carroll wrote:
>>
>> I am still not hearing any argument to justify the costs of literals
>> as subjects

> [...]

Cut long story short.

RDF/XML != RDF.

Trouble is this though:

World sees RDF/XML == RDF. They don't see RDF Data Model aspect.

W3C only officially acknowledges RDF/XML as Markup Language for RDF Data
Model.

Even worse, RDF (perceived to be == RDF/XML) is now tagged as mandatory
for Linked Data, which is simply not so at all.

We have an EAV model, URIs, quads (or triples) and a variety of data
representation mechanisms. N3 is one of those, and its basically the
foundation that bootstrapped the House of HTTP based Linked Data.

RDF modulo Linked Data has nothing to show bar the kind to discussion
thread you might have inadvertently triggered. Which is why I find RDF
and Linked Data conflation an unfortunate attempt to force RDF (and all
its troubles) on the truly useful outputs from the Semantic Web Project.

President & CEO
OpenLink Software
Web: http://www.openlinksw.com
Twitter/Identi.ca: kidehen