Re: Subjects as Literals, [was Re: The Ordered List Ontology]

On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 5:45 PM, Henry Story <henry.story@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 1 Jul 2010, at 18:18, Yves Raimond wrote:
>

>>> In any case RDF Semantics does, I believe,
>>> allow literals in subject position. It is just that many many syntaxes
>>> don't allow that to be expressed,
>>

>> It doesn't seem to be allowed in the RDF semantics:
>> http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-concepts/#section-Literals
>>
>> "A literal may be the object of an RDF statement, but not the subject
>> or the predicate."
>
> Yes, but a bnode or a URI can refer to a literal. So if those can refer to a literal,
> then instead of writing
>
> [1] _:n1 owl:sameAs "hello";
>     numLetters 5 .
>
> Why not also allow one to write
>
> [2] "hello" numLetters 5.
>
> ?
>
> That is what I meant.
>
> In any case one can always map [2] to [1], so I am not sure
> the costs of allowing [2] need be that high. Every current implementation
> could just parse [2] and write it out as [1].
>
> No?
>
> It just seems that [2] is a more concise way of writing things, and
> it is conceptually cleaner.

I definitely agree...

For my thesis work, I had to store quite a lot of signal processing
computations in RDF, and had to hack a few triple stores (mainly SWI's
one) to handle literals as subjects. I used a similar hack to do that,
it was very easy to implement...