Re: Subjects as Literals, [was Re: The Ordered List Ontology]

On 1 Jul 2010, at 16:35, Kingsley Idehen wrote:

> Yves Raimond wrote:
>> Hello Kingsley!
>>

>> [snip]
>>

>>> IMHO an emphatic NO.
>>>
>>> RDF is about constructing structured descriptions where "Subjects" have
>>> Identifiers in the form of Name References (which may or many resolve to
>>> Structured Representations of Referents carried or borne by Descriptor
>>> Docs/Resources). An "Identifier" != Literal.
>>>
>>> If you are in a situation where you can't or don't want to mint an HTTP
>>> based Name, simply use a URN, it does the job.
>>>

>> It does look like you're already using literal subjects in OpenLink
>> Virtuoso though:
>>
>> http://docs.openlinksw.com/virtuoso/rdfsparql.html
>>
>> SQL>SELECT *
>> FROM <people>
>> WHERE
>>  {
>>    ?s foaf:Name ?name . ?name bif:contains "'rich*'".
>>  }
>>
>> Best,
>>

> Were is the Literal Subject in the query above?
>
> bif:contains is a function/magic predicate scoped to Literal Objects.
>
> <people> != "people".
>
> What am I missing?

Why do you think it is magic? Such a relation makes complete sense.
Given that is is a relation between literals it can be tested without needing
to look at the world. Just like an math:isgreaterThan relation ...

In fact I wonder how much SPARQL could be simplified by thinking of things this
way. Could one perhaps get rid of the FILTER( ) clause?

In any case RDF Semantics does, I believe,
allow literals in subject position. It is just that many many syntaxes
don't allow that to be expressed,

But there is nothing you can do to stop that happening semantically.  A URI or bnode
can just be names for strings.

And as for it requiring a change to the infrastructure of your DB, it is not clear that
it immediately does, since you can alwasy rewrite

"father" containsLetters 6 .

as

[] owl:sameAs "father";
   containsLetters 6 .