Re: Subjects as Literals, [was Re: The Ordered List Ontology]

Pat Hayes wrote:

> On Jun 30, 2010, at 3:49 PM, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
>
>> Pat Hayes wrote:

>>> What ARE you talking about? You sound like someone reciting doctrine.
>>>
>>> Literals in RDF are just as much 'identifiers' or 'names' as URIs
>>> are. They identify their value, most clearly and emphatically. They
>>> denote in exactly the same way that URIs denote. "23"^^xsd:number
>>> is about as good an identification of the number twenty-three as you
>>> are ever likely to get in any notational system since ancient
>>> Babylonia.
>>
>> Yes, but ancient Bablyonia != World Wide Web of Structured Linked
>> Data, slightly different mediums with some shared characteristics :-)
>>
>> The World Wide Web is becoming a Distributed DBMS (in my eyes). Thus,
>> unambiguous naming matters.
>
> A topic for a longer discussion; but irrelevant here, since typed
> literals are as unambiguous as a name can possibly get.
>

>> Literal Subjects aren't a "show stopper" per se. (esp. for local RDF
>> data). My gripe simply boils down to the nuisance factor introduced
>> by data object name ambiguity in a distributed data object oriented
>> realm such as the emerging Web of Linked Data.
>>
>> What does ""23"^^xsd:number " mean to anyone in a global data space?
>
> It means the number twenty-three, everywhere and for all time, because
> this meaning can be computed from the very syntactic form of the name.
> How unambiguous can something get?

Pat,

Re. RDF's triples, What is a Subject? What is an Object?.

If they are the same thing, why on earth do we use Names (with
implications) to describe the slots in an RDF triple?

I've only once seen the RDF triple referred to as O-R-O (by @danbri)
i.e., Object-Relation-Object.

In addition, I don't see Information and Data as being the same thing.
Information (as I know it) is about Data + Context.  Raw Data (as I know
it) is about: a unit of observation and deemed worthy of description by
its observer.  You have to give Names to subject of a description.
"23"^^xsd:number  isn't a Name.

**
I guess my own subtle mistake (re. this thread) is deeming Identifiers
and Names to be equivalent , when they aren't :-) Of course, one can use
an Identifier as a Name, but that doesn't make them equivalent.
**

One clear point of divergence here is that I am focused on the Web as
Dist. DBMS that leverages 3-tuples + HTTP URIs in the S, P, and
optionally O slot (aka. HTTP based Linked Data).

To conclude:

Name != Identifier.

I believe Subject == Name (an Identifier based Name) re. RDF triples
otherwise the triple should be described as: O-R-O or O-P-O.

I believe an S-P-O triple is a piece of information (Data Object has a
Name and at least one Attribute=Value pair).

What I desscribe actually has zilch to do with RDF as I am inclined to
believe you see RDF :-) Thus, in a way, the literal-subject debate may
simply help everyone understand and accept that RDF != Linked Data.
Thus, providing additional proof that RDF isn't mandatory or even
required re. delivery of  HTTP based Linked Data.

RDF based Linked Data != RDF. They are different things, clearly.  We
can't have it both ways (** Pat: not for you, that's for those that deem
RDF and Linked Data inextricably linked **).

BTW - I still have no idea if RDF and RDF/XML are really distinct. HTML
and N3 built the Web of Linked Data, but N3  remains a 2nd or 3rd class
citizen whenever we talk about the pragmatic aspects of what continues
to be inappropriately labeled as an RDF virtue i.e. Linked Data.

Danbri:

I agree with the essence of your earlier post!

Kingsley

> Pat
>

>> I know the meaning of:
>> <http://km.aifb.kit.edu/projects/numbers/web/n23#this>, based on the
>> resource I deref at: <http://km.aifb.kit.edu/projects/numbers/web/n23>
>>

>> Kingsley
>>

>>> Pat Hayes

>>> IHMC                                     (850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973
>>> 40 South Alcaniz St.           (850)202 4416   office
>>> Pensacola                            (850)202 4440   fax
>>> FL 32502                              (850)291 0667   mobile
>>> phayesAT-SIGNihmc.us       http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes
>>>

>> --
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Kingsley Idehen          President & CEO OpenLink Software     Web:
>> http://www.openlinksw.com
>> Weblog: http://www.openlinksw.com/blog/~kidehen
>> Twitter/Identi.ca: kidehen

> IHMC                                     (850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973

President & CEO
OpenLink Software
Web: http://www.openlinksw.com
Twitter/Identi.ca: kidehen