Re: [Freebase-experts] ISBNs, owl:sameAs, etc

Martin,

Given that there's apparently considerable disagreement here (and
probably plenty of confusion), can you elaborate on what exactly you
object to in this request?

The first objection I saw raised was by Tom Morris ("is a FreeBase
topic really a book?") and agree that urn:isbn:9780670063260 is not
the same thing as http://rdf.freebase.com/ns/en.on_the_road.

However, I'm not sure I see that distinction between
urn:isbn:9780670063260 and
http://rdf.freebase.com/ns/soft.isbn.9780670063260.best as they're
both trying to identify an edition (or, loosely, a frbr:Manifestation)
of a work.

My questions would be:
1) If the latter relationship is not a good fit for owl:sameAs, why?
2) if #1 is true, what is a better alternative?

I understand the rationale of not wanting to water down the semantics
of owl:sameAs to the point that it's little more than rdfs:seeAlso
with louder voice.  At the same time, it's difficult to see if your
issue is with a type mismatch between a URN and a URI; how FreeBase
models their data; or general "mutually assured destruction"-ness of
owl:sameAs.

Thanks,
-Ross.