Re: [Freebase-experts] ISBNs, owl:sameAs, etc

dear all:
quite clearly, a book title is not the same as a book, and if the linked
data community continues to link apples and oranges via owl:sameAs then
either

- the socially agreed meaning owl:sameAs is being degraded to untyped
href in HTML
or
-  vast amount of data in the linked data cloud turns useless

but as a minimum precaution against spoiling the graph of data, put your
sameAs statements into separate graphs so that meaningful applications
can filter them out easily.

best

martin

Kingsley Idehen wrote:
> Daniel O'Connor wrote:
>>

>> On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 6:02 PM, Tom Morris <tfmorris@gmail.com
>> <mailto:tfmorris@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     But is the description of the book (ie Freebase topic) really the
>> same
>>     thing as the book?
>>
>>     Assuming it was, wouldn't you not only have to make the sameAs
>>     assertions and publish them someplace, but also get them loaded into
>>     sameas.org <http://sameas.org>?
>>
>>     Tom
>>
>>     On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 1:35 AM, Shawn Simister
>>     <narphorium@gmail.com <mailto:narphorium@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>     > Are you just looking for a script that can make the 'same as'
>>     assertions
>>     > like this?
>>     >
>>     > http://rdfbooks.freebaseapps.com/ns/soft.isbn.9780670063260.best
>>     >

>> Ah hah!
>>
>> Now how to (nicely) get that indexed...
> Make a linkset and publish it via:
>
> 1. A data dump
> 2. SPARQL endpoint
> 3. Your Linked Data Space .
>
> Then you have your index, and others can make their variants by
> meshing their data with yours :-)
>
> Re. DBpedia, we can add the linkset to its own Named Graph as we've
> done with other linksets.

martin hepp
e-business & web science research group
universitaet der bundeswehr muenchen

e-mail:  hepp@ebusiness-unibw.org
phone:   +49-(0)89-6004-4217
fax:     +49-(0)89-6004-4620
         http://www.heppnetz.de/ (personal)
skype:   mfhepp
twitter: mfhepp

Project page:
http://purl.org/goodrelations/

Resources for developers:
http://www.ebusiness-unibw.org/wiki/GoodRelations

Webcasts:
Overview - http://www.heppnetz.de/projects/goodrelations/webcast/
How-to   - http://vimeo.com/7583816

Recipe for Yahoo SearchMonkey:
http://www.ebusiness-unibw.org/wiki/GoodRelations_and_Yahoo_SearchMonkey

Talk at the Semantic Technology Conference 2009:
"Semantic Web-based E-Commerce: The GoodRelations Ontology"
http://www.slideshare.net/mhepp/semantic-webbased-ecommerce-the-goodrelations-ontology-1535287

Overview article on Semantic Universe:
http://www.semanticuniverse.com/articles-semantic-web-based-e-commerce-webmasters-get-ready.html

Tutorial materials:
ISWC 2009 Tutorial: The Web of Data for E-Commerce in Brief: A Hands-on Introduction to the GoodRelations Ontology, RDFa, and Yahoo! SearchMonkey
http://www.ebusiness-unibw.org/wiki/Web_of_Data_for_E-Commerce_Tutorial_ISWC2009