Re: [Freebase-experts] ISBNs, owl:sameAs, etc

From: Martin Hepp (UniBW) <martin.hepp@ebusiness-unibw.org>
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 2010 22:22:21 +0100
To: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com>
CC: Daniel O'Connor <daniel.oconnor@gmail.com>, Freebase Experts <freebase-experts@freebase.com>, public-lod@w3.org
dear all:
quite clearly, a book title is not the same as a book, and if the linked
data community continues to link apples and oranges via owl:sameAs then

- the socially agreed meaning owl:sameAs is being degraded to untyped
href in HTML
-  vast amount of data in the linked data cloud turns useless

but as a minimum precaution against spoiling the graph of data, put your
sameAs statements into separate graphs so that meaningful applications
can filter them out easily.

Kingsley Idehen wrote:
> Daniel O'Connor wrote:
>> On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 6:02 PM, Tom Morris <tfmorris@gmail.com
>> <mailto:tfmorris@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>     But is the description of the book (ie Freebase topic) really the
>> same
>>     thing as the book?
>>     Assuming it was, wouldn't you not only have to make the sameAs
>>     assertions and publish them someplace, but also get them loaded into
>>     sameas.org <http://sameas.org>?
>>     Tom
>>     On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 1:35 AM, Shawn Simister
>>     <narphorium@gmail.com <mailto:narphorium@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>     > Are you just looking for a script that can make the 'same as'
>>     assertions
>>     > like this?
>>     >
>>     > http://rdfbooks.freebaseapps.com/ns/soft.isbn.9780670063260.best
>>     >
>> Ah hah!
>> Now how to (nicely) get that indexed...
> Make a linkset and publish it via:
> 1. A data dump
> 2. SPARQL endpoint
> 3. Your Linked Data Space .
> Then you have your index, and others can make their variants by
> meshing their data with yours :-)
> Re. DBpedia, we can add the linkset to its own Named Graph as we've
> done with other linksets.

martin hepp
e-business & web science research group
universitaet der bundeswehr muenchen

e-mail:  hepp@ebusiness-unibw.org
phone:   +49-(0)89-6004-4217
fax:     +49-(0)89-6004-4620
         http://www.heppnetz.de/ (personal)
skype:   mfhepp
twitter: mfhepp

Project page:

Resources for developers:

Overview - http://www.heppnetz.de/projects/goodrelations/webcast/
How-to   - http://vimeo.com/7583816

Recipe for Yahoo SearchMonkey:

Talk at the Semantic Technology Conference 2009:
"Semantic Web-based E-Commerce: The GoodRelations Ontology"

Overview article on Semantic Universe:

Tutorial materials:
ISWC 2009 Tutorial: The Web of Data for E-Commerce in Brief: A Hands-on Introduction to the GoodRelations Ontology, RDFa, and Yahoo! SearchMonkey