Re: Linked Data API

From: Nathan <nathan@webr3.org>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 18:11:58 +0000
To: Leigh Dodds <leigh.dodds@talis.com>
CC: Linking Open Data <public-lod@w3.org>, Jeni Tennison <jeni@jenitennison.com>, Dave Reynolds <dave@epimorphics.com>
Leigh Dodds wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Yesterday, at the 2nd Linked Data London Meetup, Dave Reynolds, Jeni
> Tennison and myself ran a workshop introducing some work we've been
> doing around a "Linked Data API".
>
> The API is intended to be a middle-ware layer that can be deployed
> in-front of a SPARQL endpoint, providing the ability to create a
> RESTful data access layer for accessing the RDF data contained in the
> triple store. The middle-ware is configurable, and is intended to
> support a range of different access patterns and output formats. "Out
> of the box" the system provides delivery of the standard range of RDF
> serialisations, as well as simple JSON and XML serializations for
> descriptions of lists of resources. The API essentially maps
> parameterized URLs to underlying SPARQL queries, mediating the content
> negotiation of the results into a suitable format for the client.
>
> The current draft specification is at:
>
> http://purl.org/linked-data/api/spec

If I may make a suggestion; I'd like you to consider including the
formed SPARQL query in with the return; so that developers can get used
to the language and see how similar to existing SQL etc etc..

For all this middle-ware is needed in the interim and provides access to
the masses, surely an extra chance to introduce developers to linked
data / rdf / sparql is a good thing?

Regards,

Nathan