Re: Linking to datasets from the Cultural heritage domain

On Sat, Jan 2, 2010 at 6:48 AM, Monika Solanki <m.solanki@mcs.le.ac.uk> wrote:
> Are there any open datasets available to link with from the domain of
> cultural heritage.

Hi Monika, I just noticed your question of last month.  Last May I
announced [1] that the Chronicling America project at the Library of
Congress was using Linked Data and vocabularies such as OAI-ORE,
Dublin Core, Bibliographic Ontology to make information about
digitized newspapers available on the web. The only difference between
then and now is that now we are making close to 2 million pages of
content available instead of 1 million.

I must admit, I am a bit curious about the motivation for your
question. Are you looking for examples to try to make the case for the
use of Linked Data at cultural heritage institutions? Or are you
possibly writing up a review of the use of Linked Data in cultural
heritage institutions? Or are you maybe just testing the waters to see
what's going on before you try an experiment?

I've heard some rumors of a w3c incubator group for libraries and
cultural heritage institutions, which would be great I think. I wonder
if for the moment there would be any interest in documenting some of
these linked data cultural heritage projects on the ESW wiki [3]?

//Ed

[1] http://groups.google.com/group/oai-ore/browse_thread/thread/4a71d09b6b5a6feb
[2] http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/about/api/
[3] http://esw.w3.org/topic/FrontPage