Re: Terminology when talking about Linked Data

From: Dan Brickley <danbri@danbri.org>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 21:09:15 +0100
To: Pat Hayes <phayes@ihmc.us>
Cc: Damian Steer <d.steer@bristol.ac.uk>, Hugh Glaser <hg@ecs.soton.ac.uk>, "public-lod@w3.org" <public-lod@w3.org>

On 17 Feb 2010, at 18:14, Pat Hayes <phayes@ihmc.us> wrote:

> On Feb 17, 2010, at 6:37 AM, Dan Brickley wrote:
>
>> ... . RDF was originally
>> standardised as a metadata system, a mechanism for finding stuff ...
>> whether that stuff was photos, videos, HTML pages, excel
>> spreadsheets,
>> SQL databases, 3d models. ...
>
> Really? That was not the impression I got when I first got involved
> with it. In fact, I asked explicitly for clarification, at the first
> F2F in Sebastopol: is RDF intended to be metadata for Web 'objects',
> or is it supposed to be a notation for describing **things in
> general**? And the resounding chorus from the WG was the latter,
> most definitely not the former. (Which is also what Guha told me
> right after the very first RDF speclet was first released.) And that
> is why I designed the semantics based on a logical model theory
> rather than a computational annotation system. If RDF was supposed
> to be primarily a mechanism for finding stuff, then we designed it
> wrong.

The original use cases were various flavours of 'metadata'; however
that concept melts on closer inspection. We did the right thing by
going with a general system; but we did lose touch a bit with some of
the original scenarios which motivated W3C to standardise RDF in '97.
MCF and RDF were never themselves technologies with a built-in scope
of 'describing only data', and that was all fine and good. Whenever
you dig into 'metadata' requirements you soon find that the whole
world is soon in-scope. The gamble of course with a highly general
standard is that it can be used in-principle for *everything* but
risks in practice being used for nothing. It took us a while to find
that niche...

Dan