Re: Linking HTML pages and data

From: Damian Steer <d.steer@bristol.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 14:03:34 +0000
To: Sean Bechhofer <sean.bechhofer@manchester.ac.uk>
CC: public-lod@w3.org
On 16/02/10 12:39, Sean Bechhofer wrote:

> LODders
>
> A simple (possibly dumb) question. Is there a standard mechanism for
> linking an HTML page to the non-information resource that it describes?

> In contrast, if I look at the page for the band on the BBC, i.e.
>
> <http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/artists/d700b3f5-45af-4d02-95ed-57d301bda93e>
>
> there seems to be no reference at all to the non-information resource
>
> <http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/artists/d700b3f5-45af-4d02-95ed-57d301bda93e#artist>
>

> which is the "subject" of the page.

In this case you have:

html:rel alternate -> rdf version of page

(you can also ask for rdf/xml directly in accept header).

RDF version says primary topic is '...#artist'

So perhaps the BBC perspective is that the HTML is a lower-fidelity
representation of the resource.

The dbpedia page also has a rel alternate to an rdf version. In that
case, however, the page isn't mentioned.

I would add a little RDFa (to beef up the fidelity a touch) and use
foaf:primaryTopic.

Damian