Re: Recommendations for serving backlinks when having hash URIs?

Hi Christoph,

On 9 Feb 2010, at 23:17, Christoph LANGE wrote:
>  are there any guidelines on how to reasonably restrict the number
> of served
> RDF triples when
>
> * the linked data served should also include backlinks (i.e. triples
> that have
>  the requested resource as object), as is good practice
> * hash URIs are used (and therefore a server response contains a lot
> more than
>  what the client actually needs)
> ?
>
> In our setting, we are bound to use hash URIs for certain resources,
> as the
> URI syntax conventions have existed before the age of linked data.
> Suppose we
> have resources with URIs like fooX#barY, such as foo23#bar57.
> Suppose that
> the RDF on the server is not served from static files fooX.rdf, but
> from a
> triple store, and thus the server has some flexibility w.r.t. what
> exactly to
> serve.  Now suppose a client is interested in foo27#bar4 and
> therefore (hash
> URIs!) has to request foo27 from the server.  Then, the server would
> at least
> have to return a lot of triples having any of the foo27#barY as
> subject, e.g.
>
> foo27#bar1 :someprop foo27#bar56 .
> foo27#bar2 :someprop foo33#bar1 .
> foo27#bar4 :someprop foo66#bar89 .
>
> Additionally we would like to get some triples having foo27#barY as
> an object,
> but again the server does not know that the client is only
> interested in
> foo27#bar4.
>
> Of course any reasonable approach to pick the most "relevant"
> triples depends
> on the specific vocabulary and application, but still, are there any
> guidelines?  Or should we rather consider ways of mapping hash URIs
> to slash
> URIs?  Are there standard approaches?  I could imagine that e.g. for
> foo27 the
> server could return only these triples:
>
> foo27#bar1 owl:sameAs slashland/foo27/bar1 .
> foo27#bar2 owl:sameAs slashland/foo27/bar2 .

Maybe simpler:

foo27#bar1 rdfs:seeAlso slashland/foo27/bar1.rdf .
foo27#bar2 rdfs:seeAlso slashland/foo27/bar2.rdf .

And then serve up the detailed description inside the *.rdf files,
while still using the hash URIs inside these files. This limits the
complication to the RDF file level, without requiring messing about
with multiple URI aliases.

Best,
Richard