Re: backronym proposal: Universal Resource Linker

Sorry, no.  You're 99.9% right here, but I don't see why you think we
need to change "Locator" to "Linker".  "Locator" is a perfectly correct
term.  It is a string which is used to locate things.  Locating things
is like identifying them, except that you can also (in some sense)
access them.  That's exactly how we use URLs.  My airline calls the key
they assign to reservations, in their communications with the public, a
"record locator".

I think people got thrown off for a while in the 90s, because URLs
appear to include host names, and hosts are peices of equipment.  So
they thought each URL pointed to a peice of equipment.  That's not true,
of course, and I think we're pretty much over that misconception now.

Also, trying to change from "Locator" or "Linker" would (aside from
being not helpful) introduce more of this stuff:

    > "URL? yeah kinda, you probably really ought to say URI but don't
    > worry, you nearly got it"

which you nail perfectly.  If we changed from "Locator" to "Linker" we'd
have people saying, in that same tone of voice and to the same confused
and hurt audience: "Oh, of course you mean UR *Linker* don't you".

      -- Sandro