Re: [foaf-protocols] semantic pingback improvement request for foaf

2010/4/15 Story Henry <henry.story@bblfish.net>

> Hi,
>
>   I often get asked how one solve the friend request problem on open social
> networks that use foaf in the hyperdata way.
>
> On the closed social networks when you want to make a friend, you send them
> a request which they can accept or refuse. It is easy to set up, because all
> the information is located in the same database, owned by the same company.
> In a distributed social foaf network anyone can link to you, from anywhere,
> and your acceptance can be expressed most clearly by linking back. The
> problem is: you need to find out when someone is linking to you.
>

>    So then the problem is how does one notify people that one is linking to
> them. Here are the solutions in order of simplicity.
>
>   0. Search engine solution
>   -------------------------
>
>   Wait for a search engine to index the web, then ask the search engine
> which people are linking to you.
>
>  Problems:
>
>   - This will tend to be a bit slow, as a search engine optimised to search
> the whole web will need to be notified first, even if this is only of minor
> interest to them
>   - It makes the search engine a core part of the communication between two
> individuals, taking on the role of the central database in closed social
> networks
>   - It will not work when people deploy foaf+ssl profiles, where they
> access control who can see their friends. Search engines will not have
> access to that information, and so will not be able to index it.

A great summary, Henry

What about using W3C recommended standard of SPARQL (Update)?  I refer to
the architecture sketch for web 3.0:

http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/diagrams/social/acl-arch.png

It strikes me a (hyper) data file *should* be, first and foremost, updated
(write) using SPARUL or WebDAV and HTTP should be used for read operations.

So I add you as a friend to my FOAF.  And also send you a message with the
triples I'd like you to add to your FOAF (use discovery if necessary to find
your sparql server, but as tabulator does, you could just send it to the web
3.0 enabled file).  You can peform some sanitization/validation/reputation
check before adding the friend to your FOAF.  It's a simple workflow to get
you started, but you can build layers on top (push/pull, realtime,
notifications, approvals etc.).  Also compatible with FOAF+SSL Auth.