Re: semantic pingback improvement request for foaf

On 16 Apr 2010, at 11:48, Sebastian Tramp wrote:

> quote Story Henry (15.4.2010):
>
>> I often get asked how one solve the friend request problem on open social networks that use foaf in the hyperdata way.
>
> Hi Henry,
>
> thank you for your introduction to these different solutions.
>
> As one of the members of AKSW who is responsible for the Semantic Pingback approach it is nice for me to see that our solution is discussed in a broader audience.
>
> Of course, the development of Semantic Pingback was driven with foaf+ssl in mind, but we also wanted to preserve backward compatibility for existing pingback clients (where possible).

Oh. I had not thought of it as being related to foaf+ssl initially in particular.

> One of the main advantages of pingback (and thus Semantic Pingback) is the low entrance barrier for clients which want to trigger a pingback-request. This is done via a X-Pingback field in HTTP header of a pingback enabled resource. The auto discovery via header field is both simple and powerful. simple because a pingback clients does not need to use an XML parser (or an rdf parser)

In the initial part described above this is true, and only if the HEAD contains
the X-Pingback link header.  (Otherwise you do need to parse the content)

But later in the xml-rpc part it does absolutely require an XML parser, and furthermore it re-invents all the HTTP error/success headers in the XML, and one cannot say that what it did was an improvement.

> and powerful because also JPGs, PDFs and any other resource can be pingback enabled and the client only needs to request for the HEAD of a resource which is another advantage of pingback (thus the client is not forced to load a potential huge resource)

yes, that makes a lot of sense.

The out of date piece is more on sending a ping, and parsing the response, which is overly complicated, in large part not RESTful - eg it could return a URL to refer to the ping request object - but more below....

> The reason for introducing the ping:service property in Semantic Pingback is more a integration issue (e.g. to query for such information via sparql).

yes, that relation is very useful.

> The suggested no.1 auto suggestion method for a resource is still the header field (this policy preserves backward compatibility, allowing wordpress users to ping a linked data resource).

yes, the backward compatibility is also very useful, and should be kept.

> According to your "Improved Semantic PingBack" approach (5). I understand your motivation to wipe-out the XMLRPC part of such a spec and maybe a POST request could be an alternative for such an RPC call

I don't think that one should wipe out the XMLPRC piece in fact. I should make that clearer in the proposed definition of the ping:service relation. I was thinking one could extend it. Toby Inkster just made the point very well in another thread on the foaf-protocols mailing list

   http://markmail.org/message/xg4vfqitn2rqcrc7

When you POST a content, you are in fact doing something like reverse conneg. One error of the ping back service is to be entirely defined in terms of a representation. But that can be fixed. There is no reason not to extend it to other
representations. HTML forms as specified here

  http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/interact/forms.html#form-content-type

send content in either of two mime types

 - application/x-www-form-urlencoded
 - multipart/form-data

The other error of xmlrpc is to re-invent HTTP content negotiation at the
XML layer. So that it encapsulates error conditions in the XML-response.
It is therefore not quite true, that XML-RPC does not require an XML parser.

> (however, this buries the compatibility to the blogosphere).

It need not. We could have it so that ping back servers that are only referred to
via the service:pingback relation in rdf, can offer only the new ping method.

The other thing would be to have a new relation. In the case of friending services in foaf, it is unlikely that people will have their foaf served with X-Pingback headers.

> But in order to be as lightweight as the original spec is, we should then introduce a new header-field as well to allow easy auto-discovery of such a Post-Pingback endpoint as well.
>
> Since the XMLRPC related header is named X-Pingback, I suggest to use X-Pingback-Post for this thus lifting post-pingbacks as an alternative request to xmlrpcs.

XML-RPC sends the information to the server also via a POST, so I am not sure that
this would be the right way to distinguish them.

I would be more in favour of calling the new relation Pingback without the X, and
proposing it as an RFC. Given that we could establish this purely semantically, we should be able to get a lot more support.  But that could take a bit more time, and perhaps only something to do at a later point.

So I believe that Pingback needs to be fixed. The xml/rpc piece is just wrong. The easiest way may be to start off with another relation

  ping:pingback

perhaps defined as I suggested, and then to find ways to tie this in more carefully with the xml-rpc ping back service.

The reason I think we should develop the html form solution is that we can integrate this very nicely then with RDFa and RDFForms

( perhaps http://esw.w3.org/PushBackDataToLegacySourcesRDForms )

And most of all it is RESTful, and it gives the human with no machine a simple way to ping a server by hand. So with one method we could have something that works with html, human users, rdfa, machines, etc... It should be easy then to add a backward compatible layer for xml-rpc too.

> Semantic Pingback clients need to implement one of these methods while Semantic Pingback server should implement both to allow both request types and stay compatible.

yes.

The next thing to look at would be if there are any particular issues that we need
in the friend request use case. I think automating the friend request with a simple HTML form could really get the viral part of FOAF going. For some reason that essential piece has not been developed. (I don't understand myself why we did not think about it before - perhaps just that we were not in the Web 3.0 decade yet.)

Anyway, we are looking for a space to maintain the ontology. Is this something you would be interested in adding to your semantic pingback page?

I for sure would love to add a little Scala CGI to allow the automation of friend requests. I think this could really take off.

Henry