Re: DBpedia hosting burden

From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 10:14:34 -0400
To: Andy Seaborne <andy.seaborne@talis.com>
CC: public-lod@w3.org, dbpedia-discussion <dbpedia-discussion@lists.sourceforge.net>
Andy Seaborne wrote:

> On 15/04/2010 2:44 PM, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
>> Andy,
>>
>> Great stuff, this is also why we are going to leave the current DBpedia
>> 3.5 instance to stew for a while (until end of this week or a little
>> later).
>>
>> DBpedia users:
>> Now is the time to identify problems with the DBpedia 3.5 dataset dumps.
>> We don't want to continue reloading DBpedia (Static Edition and then
>> recalibrating DBpedia-Live) based on faulty datasets related matters, we
>> do have other operational priorities etc..
>
> "Faulty" is a bit strong.

Imperfect then, however subjective that might be :-)

> Many of the warnings are legal RDF, but bad lexical forms for the
> datatype, or IRIs that trigger some of the standard warnings (but they
> are still legal IRIs).  Should they be included or not? Seems to me
> you can argue both for and against.
>
> external_links_en.nt.bz2  is the largest source of broken IRIs.
>
> DBpedia is a wonderful and important dataset, and being derived from
> elsewhere is unlikely to ever be "perfect" (for some definition of
> "perfect").  Better to have the data than to wait for perfection.
That's been the approach thus far.

Anyway, as I said, we have a window of opportunity to identify current
issues prior to performing a 3.5.1 reload. I just don't want to reduce
the reload cycles due to other items on our todo etc..

>     Andy

Kingsley Idehen
President & CEO
OpenLink Software