Re: DBpedia hosting burden

On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 1:58 PM, Dan Brickley <danbri@danbri.org> wrote:
> (trimming cc: list to LOD and DBPedia)

Using Dan's trimmed list to continue...

> On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 7:09 PM, Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com> wrote:
>> When people aren't crawling, they are executing CONSTRUCTsor DESCRIBEs
>> via SPARQL, which is still ultimately Export from DBpedia and Import to
>> my data space mindset.

Is this necessarily true?  Couldn't the CONSTRUCT and/or DESCRIBE
queries be used to find resources and view the whole graph (or
specialized subsets) to determine if it's actually what is being
sought?

Is it better for DBpedia to do SELECTs and then retrieve the resource
URIs individually?

I suppose rather than assume that the data is all being exported into
another space (which, I would think, definitely happening -- having
data locally aids tremendously in indexing, for example) it could be a
case of people just using SPARQL the way it seems that SPARQL should
work?

-Ross.