Re: [semanticweb] ANN: DBpedia 3.5 released

baran@goldmail.de wrote:
>>> A fact of my experience since many years:
>>>
>>> The homepage of my grandma is better accessible than the flagship(!) of
>>> 'linked data' dbpedia.org...
>>
>> Let's do the test!
>>
>> In Firefox, using best guesses:
>>
>>     http://dbpedia.org
>>
>> Works!
>>
>>     http://barans-grandma.org
>>
>> Does not work!
>> How many years experience do I need to be able to access your grandma's
>> homepage?
>>
>> Dipl.-Inform. Michael Schneider
>> Research Scientist, Information Process Engineering (IPE)
>> FZI Forschungszentrum Informatik an der Universität Karlsruhe>
>
> Someone who has used the endpoint dbpedia.org/sparql intensively
> knows what i mean:
>
> After one or two hours or so, it hangs, i try dbpedia.org with FFox,
> Opera, IE,
> it hangs also, after 5 minutes i try dbpedia.org, i see the page,
> for dbpedia.org/sparql i put my simple query again, it is ok.
>
> Since years it is the same story in the same rhythm.

You are missing an very important point.

A SPARQL endpoint is a service, albeit exposed by a Web Page for Human
Interaction.

Also, the server behind DBpedia (Virtuoso) is deliberately configured to
protect itself while also seeking to offer balanced access to DBpedia.

What you won't be able to do with our instance is simply consume the
service without regard for others etc..

Does grandma offer a Web Scale Query Service?

> But if someone clicks dbpedoa.org only once, then he has of course
> also the time to write such a nonsense like you did it above from:
>
> 'FZI Forschungszentrum Informatik an der Universität Karlsruhe'
>
> And if i send a mail the server doesnt't work properly,
> i can get perhaps a reply from Chris Bizer suggesting
>
> 'maintanance work on the DBpedia server'...
>
> i think there has been so much maintenance work there that even
> a simple click on dbpedia.org was hanging too oft comparing to
> the homepage of my grandma...
If she does, I am all ears as to how she serves all conceivable users
and user patterns across the Web 24/7 :-)

Remember, you can download the DBpedia archives and upload to your own
Quad or Triple store.

One point of thanks, you seem to be one of the few people that actually
include the DBpedia instance and SPARQL endpoint as being part of what
constitutes the DBpedia Team or DBpedia Project :-)

Kingsley

> baran.

President & CEO
OpenLink Software