Re: CoIN: Composition of Identifier Names

From: Robert Sanderson <azaroth42@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 09:11:51 -0700
To: Niklas Lindström <lindstream@gmail.com>
Cc: Linked Data community <public-lod@w3.org>
A quick question...

2010/4/13 Niklas Lindström <lindstream@gmail.com>:

> I've found it very valuable to formally declare the pieces from which
> an URI is to be composed of. Especially in our environment where we
> have a central design of the URI:s, but decentralized publishing of
> data (which is of a somewhat rich and varied nature).

How does this mesh with URIs being opaque?  If the URIs were actually
opaque and treated as such, then formally declaring the parts would be
a non-issue.  It seems that this ideal is being increasingly watered
down or ignored... is that intentional, and is it a good or bad thing?

Thoughts?

Rob Sanderson