Re: Standards Based Data Access Reality (Edited)

Melvin Carvalho wrote:

> [...]
>     proprietary company, this is basically an EAV store that serves
>     all Mac OS X apps, built using SQLite; until recently you couldn't
>     extend its backend storage engine aspect) .
>     **
>
>     Reality re. Business of Linked Data:
>
>     "Data as a Service" (DaaS) is the first step i.e., entity oriented
>     structured data substrate based on the EAV model. In a nutshell,
>     when you have structured data place, data meshing replaces data
>     mashing.  Monikers aside, entrepreneurs, CTOs, and CIOs already
>     grok this reality in their own realm specific ways.
>
>     Microsoft in particular, already groks data access (they developed
>     their chops eons ago via ODBC). In recent times, they've groked
>     EAV model as mechanism for concrete Conceptual Model Level data
>     access, and they are going unleash an avalanche of polished EAV
>     based applications courtesy of their vast developer network. Of
>     course, Google and Apple will follow suit, naturally.
>
>     The LOD Community and broader Semantic Web Problem (IMHO):
>
>     History is a very good and kind teacher, make it an integral part
>     of what you do and the path forward becomes less error prone; a
>     message that hasn't penetrated deep enough within this community,
>     in my personal experience.
>
>     **
>     Today, I see a community rife with cognitive dissonance and
>     desires to define a non existent "absolute truth" with regards to
>     what constitutes an "Application" or "Killer Application".
>     Ironically, has there EVER been a point in history where the
>     phrase: Killer Application, wasn't retrospective? Are we going to
>     miraculously change this, now?
>
>     **
>
>     Has there ever been a segment in the market place (post emergence
>     of Client-Server partitioning) where if you didn't make both the
>     Client and the Server, the conclusion was: we have nothing?
>
>     We can continue postulating about what constitutes an application,
>     but be rest assured, Microsoft, Google, Apple (in that order), are
>     priming up for precise execution with regards to opportunities in
>     the emerging EAV based Linked Data realm. They have:
>
>     1. Polished Clients
>     2. Vast User Networks
>     3. Vast Integrator Networks
>     4. Vast Developer Networks
>     5. Bottom-less cash troves
>     6. Very smart people.
>
>     In my experience, combining the above has never resulted in
>     failure, even if the deliverable contains little bits of impurity.
>
>     Invest a little more time in understanding the history of our
>     industry instead of trying to reinvent it wholesale. As Colin
>     Powell articulated re. the IRAQ war: If You Break The Pot, You Own It!
>
>     Folks, we are just part of an innovation continuum, nothing is new
>     under the sun bar, context !!
>

> +1
>
> Just to add maybe that CRUD is just one part of the equation, after
> that can come aggregation, curation, self healing etc.
Yes! All the things you would expect from any realm built atop DBMS
principles (and by DBMS I don't mean RDBMS solely).

> Now I'm trying to work out whether what you've presented is good news
> or bad.
Good news for realists that understand history and the placement of
Linked Data (any variant) within the broader Data Access & Management
genealogy tree.

> http://www.w3.org/2007/09/map/main.jpg
>
> Looking at the WWW Roadmap, are we all headed for the Sea of
> Interoperability or to be sucked in to a Growing Desert Wasteland?
Interoperability for those that grok Linked Data is part of a continuum
:-) The wasteland for those who are misguided by complete disregard for
History!

Kingsley

>     --
>
>     Regards,
>
>     Kingsley Idehen       President & CEO OpenLink Software     Web:
>     http://www.openlinksw.com
>     Weblog: http://www.openlinksw.com/blog/~kidehen
>     <http://www.openlinksw.com/blog/%7Ekidehen>
>     Twitter/Identi.ca: kidehen