Natural Keys and Patterned URIs

From: Patrick Logan <patrickdlogan@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2010 09:31:15 -0700
To: public-lod <public-lod@w3.org>
(Thanks for the patterns book, BTW. I am finding them helpful and

re: Natural Keys and Patterned URIs - I am wondering about the
potential trade-offs between "manufacturing" a resource URI following
a "known algorithms" vs. "finding" a resource URI by querying a "known

e.g. say there is a URI for a specific auto. A natural key could be
based on its vehicle identification number (VIN), and so

Or the URI could be meaningless, or at least unknown, and the URI
could be "found" from a known "VIN" relationship in the ontology...
?car <VIN> "xyz"

Even if the URIs are meaningful, patterned, or natural, I kind of tend
to want to find them from relationships rather than manufacture them.

Are there known pro's and con's either way?