Re: Announce: Linked Data Patterns book

From: Ian Davis <lists@iandavis.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2010 00:31:45 +0100
To: Peter Ansell <ansell.peter@gmail.com>
Cc: Leigh Dodds <leigh.dodds@talis.com>, Linking Open Data <public-lod@w3.org>
On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 12:14 AM, Peter Ansell <ansell.peter@gmail.com> wrote:
> In the Annotation publishing pattern section there is the following statement:
>
> "It is entirely consistent with the Linked Data principles to make
> statements about third-party resources."
>
> I don't believe that to be true, simply because, unless users are
> always using a quad model (RDF+NamedGraphs), they have no way of
> retrieving that information just by resolving the foreign identifier
> which is the subject of the RDF triple. They would have to stumble on
> the information by knowing to retrieve the object URI, which isn't
> clear from the pattern description so far. In a triples model it is
> harmful to have this pattern as Linked Data, as the statements are not
> discoverable just knowing the URI.

Can you elaborate more on the harm you suggest here?

I don't think we need to limit the data published about a subject to
that subset retrievable at its URI.  (I wrote a little about this last
year at http://blog.iandavis.com/2009/10/more-than-the-minimum )

I also don't believe this requires the use of quads. I think it can be
interlinked using rdfs:seeAlso.

Ian