Re: KIT releases 14 billion triples to the Linked Open Data cloud

Hi Denny,

I am sorry, but I have to voice some criticism of this project. Over the
past two years, I have become increasingly wary of the excitement over large
numbers of triples in the LOD community. Large numbers of triples don't mean
don't necessarily mean that a dataset enables us to do anything novel or
significantly useful. I think there should be a shift from focusing on
quantity to focusing on quality and usefulness.

Now the project you describe seems to be well-made, but it also exemplifies
this problem to a degree that I have not seen before. You basically
published a huge dataset of numbers, for the sake of producing a large
number of triples. Your announcement mainly emphasis on how huge the dataset
is, and the corresponding paper does the same. The paper gives a few
application scenarios, I quote

"The added value of the paradigm shift initiated by our work cannot be
underestimated.
By endowing numbers with an own identity, the linked open data cloud
will become treasure trove for a variety of disciplines. By using elaborate
data
mining techniques, groundbreaking insights about deep mathematical
correspondences
can be obtained. As an example, using our sample dataset, we were able
to discover that there are signicantly more odd primes than even ones, and
even more excitingly a number contains 2 as a prime factor exactly if its
successor does not."

I am sorry, but this  sounds a bit overenthusiastic. I see no paradigm
shift, and I also don't see why your findings about prime numbers required
you to publish the dataset as linked data. I also have troubles seeing the
practical value of looking at the resource pages for each number with a
linked data browser, but I am also not a mathematician.

I am sorry for being a bit antagonistic, but we as a community should really
try not to be seduced too easily by publishing ever-larger numbers of
triples.

Cheers,
Matthias Samwald