Re: Yahoo RDFa enahced results example

Hi Juan,

Juan Sequeda wrote:
> Gotcha! Now I understand perfectly.
>
> I'm trying to get the local businesses in Austin to add RDFa. However, I
> have nothing tangible to show them. IMHO, the best way to convince business
> to do this is if you go through the SEO people. But until we don't see Yahoo
> (and Google) taking advantage of RDFa to enhance results, the business won't
> go through the hassle of adding RDFa.

Yes and no ;-)
Yes, as far as the SEOs are concerned: I will be presenting
GoodRelations + RDFa at SES 2009 in Chicago, likely one of the most
important SEO events, and there is already give some interest among SEO
experts in GoodRelations.

SEOs will have a huge market opportunity for helping companies optimize
their GoodRelations markup. It will turn SEO from the art of improving a
rank to the science of minimizing the search effort for a very specific
target audience.

No, as far as Yahoo and Google are concerned: Their current moves are
into the right direction, but in my opinion much too slow and cautious.
Additional details in Google and Yahoo search results are nice for
convincing a local business to create a bit of GoodRelations markup. But
that would be exploiting only 1% of the business potential.

Getting the remaining 99% of the cake will require different technology
approaches and business models.  I guess they will smell the cheese and
increase their investment fundamentally very soon.

So it may be good for a small business to see a bit of extra data in
Google, Yahoo, and Bing. But the real target applications will be more
fundamental innovations.

> *One final question. Yahoo crawls all vocabularies while Google only crawls
> their vocabulary, right?
To my knowledge, both crawl only a predefined list of vocabs.
Fortunately, Yahoo crawls standard vocabs, Google invented their own
>  Austin is the live music capital of the world, so
> imagine the amount of music and event data on websites. If I use the music
> ontology to mark up the data, will Yahoo crawl this and potentially use it
> in their search results?
You have to ask Yahoo :-)
>  What is the best vocabulary for events (venue,
> time, description, price)?

For events, I don't know. There is an austrian initiative, but it is
still pretty much alpha.

As for the price: GoodRelations. Because, again an important
distinction: It is not the event that has a price - it is a ticket
(permission) to attend the event that has a price ;-)

There will be a respective recipie at

http://www.ebusiness-unibw.org/wiki/GoodRelationsTickets

soon; currently it is a stub...

Best
Martin

martin hepp
e-business & web science research group
universitaet der bundeswehr muenchen

e-mail:  mhepp@computer.org
phone:   +49-(0)89-6004-4217
fax:     +49-(0)89-6004-4620
         http://www.heppnetz.de/ (personal)
skype:   mfhepp
twitter: mfhepp

Webcast:
http://www.heppnetz.de/projects/goodrelations/webcast/

Recipe for Yahoo SearchMonkey:
http://tr.im/rAbN

Talk at the Semantic Technology Conference 2009:
"Semantic Web-based E-Commerce: The GoodRelations Ontology"
http://tinyurl.com/semtech-hepp

Talk at

Overview article on Semantic Universe:
http://tinyurl.com/goodrelations-universe

Project page:
http://purl.org/goodrelations/

Resources for developers:
http://www.ebusiness-unibw.org/wiki/GoodRelations

Tutorial materials:
CEC'09 2009 Tutorial: The Web of Data for E-Commerce: A Hands-on Introduction to the GoodRelations Ontology, RDFa, and Yahoo! SearchMonkey
http://tr.im/grcec09