Re: how to consume linked data

From: Danny Ayers <danny.ayers@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 22:50:26 +0200
To: Kjetil Kjernsmo <kjetil@kjernsmo.net>
Cc: public-lod@w3.org
2009/9/25 Kjetil Kjernsmo <kjetil@kjernsmo.net>:
> On Friday 25. September 2009 10:15:34 you wrote:
>> sorry if I sound negative, I reckon the semweb is a done deal now, the
>> many-eyeballs arrived.
>
> Thanks for asking the right questions, Danny, I believe it is critical for
> the success that someone does!

Thanks, but I'm not even sure they are the right questions.

>> but - where should we take it?
>
> What I'd like to do with it, is to solve problems for people when combining
> data sets that are cannot be solved by conventional means, i.e. today the
> number of people who are interested in a particular combination of datasets
> goes down whereas the cost generally goes up, so it doesn't scale.

Yes, but please bear with me now - do we have to wait for another
generation arriving on the Web? There must be ways we can kick-start
this stuff.

> I think there is a critical piece of technology that is missing in our
> arsenal, namely a (free software) programming stack that makes a large
> group of developers, who are likely to have little prior understanding of
> semweb, to go "yeah, I can do that".

Like bengee's ARC2 stack - PHP?

> I think the work done by the Drupal folks is a right step in this
> direction, for the kind of stuff that people use a CMS for. But I think
> that we also need a stack, probably built around the MVC pattern, that can
> be used for more generic purposes.

Absolutely. If we can re-use existing patterns we can get people involved.

> I haven't got anywhere with my ideas on this topic though...

Me neither :)

I should insert a Star Trek quote here, but can't think of one.

Cheers,
Danny.

--
http://danny.ayers.name