Re: how to consume linked data

Danny Ayers wrote:
> The human reading online texts has a fair idea of what is and what
> isn't relevant, but how does this work for the Web of data? Should we
> have tools to just suck in any nearby triples, drop them into a model,
> assume that there's enough space for the irrelevant stuff, filter
> later?
>
> How do we do (in software) things like directed search without the human agent?
>
> I'm sure we can get to the point of - analogy -  looking stuff up in
> Wikipedia & picking relevant links, but we don't seem to have the user
> stories for the bits linked data enables. Or am I just
> imagination-challenged?
>
> Cheers,
> Danny.

I think users have to discover, comprehend, and then exploit (consume or
extend the reference chain). This is the vital sequence.

fwiw, here is how I tell the story to general observers:

Today, you put a resource URL in your browser and get either of the
following:
- Rendered Page
- Markup behind the Page

Linked Data simply adds the ability to see a resource description
(metadata). The description takes honors the Web core architecture by
providing links for each component of the description.

That's it.  All the other smart stuff simply happens behind the scenes
and shows up in the resource description.

Kingsley Idehen       Weblog: http://www.openlinksw.com/blog/~kidehen
President & CEO