Updated GeoSpecies Data Set

From: Peter DeVries <pete.devries@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 22:53:13 -0500
To: public-lod@w3.org
I have fixed a number of issues and improved LOD linkages for the GeoSpecies
data set.
You can read about it here:

<http://about.geospecies.org/>You can browse it here:

<http://lod.geospecies.org/>The RDF dump can be obtained here:

Here is the new RDF dump

http://lod.geospecies.org/geospecies.rdf.tar.gz   (1,320,182 Triples)

The data set currently contains information and linked data for: 15,803
Species, 1,217 Familes, 189 Orders. We have approximately 6,500 species
observations, but are awaiting release on the majority of those. The current
data set includes 12 sample observation records with
geonames <http://www.geonames.org/> links. There is also a growing number of
GeoSpecies annotated articles and presentations in the
bibio <http://bibliontology.com/> vocabularies. The knowledge base is
currently linked to DBpedia <http://dbpedia.org/About>,
Bio2RDF <http://bio2rdf.org/>, Uniprot <http://www.uniprot.org/>,
uBio<http://www.ubio.org/>data sources, and uses some of the
umbel <http://umbel.org/> subject concepts. See the
information on proper attribution. Until they have been fully
documented, the bulk of the observation records are not currently available.

I have attempted to link to dbpedia, bio2rdf, uniprot and freebase when
possible using skos:closeMatch. Of the 15,803 species, 5,577 are linked to
dbpedia and wikipedia, 8,896 are linked to bio2rdf and uniprot. There are
also foaf:isPrimaryTopicOf links to 8,900 Wikispecies pages. Similar
linkages are made at the other taxonomic levels of kingdom, phylum, class,
order and family.

Here the the page for the Silver-bordered Fritillary Butterfly *Boloria
selene* Denis and Schiffermuller 1775

The "entity" is

The RDF is

The levels above species and family are in XHTML with RDFa, but also have a
straight RDF representation.

Order Carnivora

RDF version

This is only a fraction of the world's species but it includes all the
world's Mammals, and North American Birds.

I will be working to improve the data set's depth, breadth and linkages
overtime, and would appreciate any comments or suggestions :-)

My long term plan is to also add biologically relevant assertions to allow
useful semantic queries about species.

- Pete
Pete DeVries <http://spiders.entomology.wisc.edu/pjd/index.html>
Department of Entomology