Re: Making human-friendly linked data pages more human-friendly (was: dbpedia not very visible, nor fun)

Richard wrote:
> These are good points, and I don't really disagree with any of them,
> except perhaps in that I think that at the moment, data quality, a
> sensible URI scheme, wide coverage, perception of stability, and

Those are, in part, very difficult problems that the community has been
working on for the last decade, and will be working on in the next few
years. Of course, they are of primary importance. However, this does not
mean that working on improving the human-readable interfaces for linked data
resources will slow down any of these efforts. Indeed, I think improvements
could be made with very little effort (if we compare it to the hundreds of
man-years that are devoted into working on these other problems). DBpedia
could be quickly improved by making use of the Wikipedia source pages.
Pubby-derivate sites could be quickly improved by modifying the style sheet
and perhaps adding some additional functionality. The investment of work is
miniscule compared to the work that is devoted to some of the bigger
problems.

> proper marketing are more likely to determine the success of a dataset  in
> attracting links

I think that having good looking web pages to show to end-users and
investors are a very important parts of proper marketing.

Cheers,
Matthias