Re: Making human-friendly linked data pages more human-friendly

Adrian Walker wrote:
> Hi Kingsley & All --
>
> Good to see that the top layers of the cake are getting some
> attention.  After all that's where the icing is (:-)
>
> We have an approach to making the results from RDF and other queries
> more friendly.  It's online at the site below [1,2].
>
> However, the more you think about this, the more you realize that user
> friendly answer displays are  necessary, but not sufficient for the
> general population of users.
>
>  A big advantage of RDF is that it should enable ordinary users to ask
> things no-one has thought of asking before.  Using their own words and
> phrases.  Handing them a SPARQL manual definitely falls short.
>
> We approach this by supporting the writing of rules in English into a
> browser.  Then users can run the rules, again in the browser.  When
> necessary, SQL is generated automatically from the rules.
>
> That's still not the whole story though.  Reasoning over RDF gets
> complicated, arguably much more so than over SQL databases.  This
> raises a question of trust.  How do I know what the system did when it
> suggested that I invest everything in Lehman Brothers?
>
> The system [1] produces English explanations, based on underlying
> proof trees, showing the what inferences and data were used in
> answering a question.  You can see a simple of example of this by
> running [2] in a browser, and asking for explanations.
>
> Apologies to folks who have seen this before, and thanks for comments.
>
>                                              -- Adrian
>
> [1]  Internet Business Logic
> A Wiki and SOA Endpoint for Executable /Open /Vocabulary English over
> SQL and RDF
> Online at www.reengineeringllc.com
> <http://www.reengineeringllc.com>    Shared use is /free/
>
> [2]
> www.reengineeringllc.com/demo_agents/RDFQueryLangComparison1.agent
> <http://www.reengineeringllc.com/demo_agents/RDFQueryLangComparison1.agent>

Adrian,

Cool!

Also note the LOD Cloud Cache instance at: http://lod.openlinksw.com,
also note it does also Web Services exposed at the endpoint:
http://lod.openlinksw.com/fct. Naturally, the same applies to DBpedia
via: http://dbpedia.org/fct.

The more services, views etc.. around DBpedia and the rest of the Linked
Data Cloud,  the better  :-)

Context Fluidity, Data Heterogeneity, and Powerful Lookup capabilities
are age-old problem areas that the Linked Data meme addresses very well.

Kingsley

> [...]
>         that can be viewed in a web browser. With the increasing
>         popularity of RDFa, the URIs of these resources are not only
>         hidden away in triplestores, but become increasingly exposed
>         on web pages. People want to click on them, and, hopefully,
>         not all of these people come from the core community of RDF
>         enthusiasts.
>
>         This means that the HTML rendering of linked data resources
>         might need to look a bit sexier than it does today. I dare to
>         say that the Pubby-esque rendering of DBpedia pages such as
>         http://dbpedia.org/page/Primary_motor_cortex
>         is helpful to get a quick overview of the RDF triples about
>         this resource, but non-RDF-enthusiasts would not find it very
>         inviting.
>
>     Pubby isn't how DBpedia is published today. It is done via
>     Virtuoso (been so for quite a long time now), which has in-built
>     Linked Data Publishing/Deployment functionality [1].
>

>         This could be improved by changes in the layout, and possibly
>         a manually curated ordering of properties. For example,
>         http://d.opencalais.com/er/company/ralg-tr1r/f8a13a13-8dbc-3d7e-82b6-1d7968476cae.html
>
>         definitely looks more inviting than the typical DBpedia page
>         (albeit still a bit sterile).
>
>     You can tweak the HTML template and just send it to us. BTW, the
>     URIBurner [2] pages which also use exactly the same Linked Data
>     Deployment functionality behind DBpedia also have a slightly
>     different look and feel. That can be applied to DBpedia in nano
>     seconds.
>

>         In the case of DBpedia, it might be better to expose the
>         excellent human-readable Wikipedia page for each resource,
>         plus a prominently positioned 'show raw data' tab at the top.
>         For other linked data resources that are not derived from
>         existing human-friendly web pages, a few stylistic changes
>         (ala OpenCalais) already might improve the situation a lot.
>
>         Note that this comment is not intended to be a criticism of
>         DBpedia, but of all Linked Data resources that expose HTML
>         descriptions of resources. DBpedia is just the most popular
>         example.
>
>     Not seen as criticism, just a wake up call. On our part (OpenLink)
>     we've always sought to draw a small line between OpenLink branding
>     and the more community oriented DBpedia project. Thus, our
>     preference has been to wait for community preferences, and then
>     within that context apply updates to the project, especially re.
>     aesthetics.
>
>     Links:
>
>     1.
>     http://virtuoso.openlinksw.com/Whitepapers/html/vdld_html/VirtDeployingLinkedDataGuide.html
>     -- Virtuoso Linked Data Deployment Guide
>     2. http://www.uriburner.com/wiki/URIBurner/
>
>     Kingsley
>

>         Cheers,
>         Matthias Samwald
>
>         DERI Galway, Ireland
>         http://deri.ie/
>
>         Konrad Lorenz Institute for Evolution & Cognition Research,

President & CEO