Re: dbpedia not very visible, nor fun

Danny Ayers wrote:
> It seems I have a Wikipedia page in my name (ok, I only did fact-check
> edits, ok!?). So tonight I went looking for the corresponding triples,
> looking for my ultimate URI...
>
> Google "dbpedia" => front page, with news
>
> on the list on the left is "Online Access"
>
> what do you get?
>
> [[
> The DBpedia data set can be accessed online via a SPARQL query
> endpoint and as Linked Data.
>
> Contents
> 1. Querying DBpedia
> 1.1. Public SPARQL Endpoint
> 1.2. Public Faceted Web Service Interface
> 1.3. Example queries displayed with the Berlin SNORQL query explorer
> 1.4. Examples rendering DBpedia Data with Google Map
> 1.5. Example displaying DBpedia Data with Exhibit
> 1.6. Example displaying DBpedia Data with gFacet
> 2. Linked Data
> 2.1. Background
> 2.2. The DBpedia Linked Data Interface
> 2.3. Sample Resources
> 2.4. Sample Views of 2 Sample DBpedia Resources
> 3. Semantic Web Crawling Sitemap
> ]]
>
> Yeah. Unless you're a triplehead none of these will mean a thing. Even
> then it's not obvious.
>
> Could someone please stick something more rewarding near the top! I
> don't know, maybe a Google-esque text entry form field for a regex on
> the SPARQL. Anything but blurb.
>
> Even being relatively familiar with the tech, I still haven't a clue
> how to take my little query (do I have a URI here?) forward.
>
> Presentation please.
>
> Cheers,
> Danny.

Danny,

We need additional descriptive granularity to DBpedia, we don't actually
describe the project in-depth.

Once the descriptions are in place, visualization/presentation should be
something that occurs above the data layer. Of course, based on the
minimal description of DBpedia that's in place, this can also occur in
tandem.

Basically, we just need to dog-food, and by this I mean on a community
wide scale. Any project member or enthusiast should be able to make an
alternative presentation of the DBpedia project based on the data
exposed by its URI.

On our part, we'll update the HTML pages with RDFa and add RDF/JSON
links to the footer (alongside N3, RDF/XML etc.). These two actions
should broaden the range of presentation level profile consumer; esp.
those primarily interested in presentation level aesthetics.

Linked Data enables us all see the same thing in different ways, the
trouble is that thus far, we are all seeing things one way based on the
default UI. We need alternative presentation layer contributions.

Kingsley Idehen       Weblog: http://www.openlinksw.com/blog/~kidehen
President & CEO