Re: ANN: BestBuy.com starts publishing full catalog as RDF/XML using GoodRelations - 27 million triples

From: Martin Hepp (UniBW) <martin.hepp@ebusiness-unibw.org>
Date: Tue, 01 Sep 2009 09:23:59 +0200
To: Peter Ansell <ansell.peter@gmail.com>
CC: "public-lod@w3.org" <public-lod@w3.org>, Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com>
Dear Peter:

Peter Ansell wrote:
> I would hardly call it "Linked Data", as they don't use resolvable
> URI's. All of the URI's seem to branch off
> http://products.semweb.bestbuy.com/semanticweb.rdf , and that URI is
> not resolvable to anything. RDF encoded information is good though,
> even if it does have to be trawled using a Sitemap.
All individual item URIs, e.g.

should be dereferenceable and return a RDF/XML representation with the
proper media type.

On my machine, it works with Tabulator.

curl -I -H "Accept: application/rdf+xml"

curl -I -H

return a 405 error:

HTTP/1.1 405 Method Not Allowed
Date: Tue, 01 Sep 2009 07:21:48 GMT
Server: Google Frontend
Connection: keep-alive

I will check with BestBuy on why that is so,

Now, as for human-readable content: Each RDF/XML representation links to
the proper human-readable representation via rdfs:seeAlso, e.g. to

I fail to see how and rdfs:seeAlso is worse than a 303 redirect - which
is hard to implement and maintain on a large-scale corporate Web site
(see recent .htaccess discussions on this list).

Currently, the human-readable pages, e.g.

don't have a META element in their header that would link to the RDF/XML
representation. That would be an improvement. It should actually be
sufficient to insert

<link rel="meta" title="RDF based Metadata in RDF/XML format"

Also, it should be easy for an intelligent agent or tools like URIburner
to search for graphs that are related to a given human-readable resource.

Simply query e.g. the LOD/LOC dataspace at

for all graphs that contain at least one triple of the form

* rdfs:seeAlso <URI-of-current-page>

Also, note that you can easily link the BestBuy data with other
resources on the basis of equivalent gr:hasEAN_UCC-13 values.

For example, you can search for the best camcorder for your needs using
the product model data at

http://rdf4ecommerce.esolda.com/camcorder/ (that is not proper linked
data yet, but still useful)

and then search for suitable offers on the basis of the EAN/UPC code of
that model.

Such will show up the BestBuy offers.

> Cheers,
> Peter

martin hepp
e-business & web science research group
universitaet der bundeswehr muenchen

e-mail:  mhepp@computer.org
phone:   +49-(0)89-6004-4217
fax:     +49-(0)89-6004-4620
         http://www.heppnetz.de/ (personal)
skype:   mfhepp
twitter: mfhepp

Recipe for Yahoo SearcMonkey:

Talk at the Semantic Technology Conference 2009:
"Semantic Web-based E-Commerce: The GoodRelations Ontology"

Overview article on Semantic Universe:

Project page:

Resources for developers:

Tutorial materials:
CEC'09 2009 Tutorial: The Web of Data for E-Commerce: A Hands-on Introduction to the GoodRelations Ontology, RDFa, and Yahoo! SearchMonkey