Re: Updated GeoSpecies Data Set

You should be able to submit the data to GBIF using their xml format.

In my next update your species with author names will be linked to the

GBIF id
DBpedia Resource
NCBI id -> get you to bio2rdf resource
and some others like Wikispecies.

I have this done on the development machine, but I still have to load it on
the server.

I have been trying to get GBIF and others to adopt species based URI rather
than a 'name-based' URI since the names change.
Some of the names of the species you listed are different depending on
whether a group accepts specific nomenclatural changes.

There is support for this now in the latest DarwinCore spec using
TaxonConceptID.

This page describes some of the issues of linking data using name-based
identifiers.

http://about.geospecies.org/index.html

Checked out some of those frogs via Wikipedia, cool!

In fact I used to have two pet *Litoria caerulea
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_Green_Tree_Frog*

Here is one of my observation RDF's.

http://lod.geospecies.org/observations/a3c39dad-6756-4129-9a61-fbd32883d369.rdf

I am not completely happy with these yet, but they are getting better.

The coolest thing is that each observation can be linked to a large about of
geodata.

Here is what I have been working toward.

http://lod.geospecies.org/locations/1bdde98c-2d38-4d20-8da0-19f1f187f31e.html

and the location RDF

http://lod.geospecies.org/locations/1bdde98c-2d38-4d20-8da0-19f1f187f31e.rdf

Hope this helps. :-)

- Pete

On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 7:39 PM, Daniel O'Connor
<daniel.oconnor@gmail.com>wrote:

> > Are you interested in determining what factors contribute to why a
> > particular frog is at one location and not another?
> > - Pete
>
> To be honest, I just want to publish a great big well structured blob
> of frog data, and I recalled seeing
> http://data.gbif.org/species/14067175/ and similar mapped out
> 'organism sightings'  :)
>
> The frog data seemed a good fit for GBIF.
>
> I'm currently tinkering around with importing it to Freebase (in
> progress) and whacking a render-as-RDF page or two up (next on my
> list); which is where I figured you'd all be better able to suggest
> the right ontologies.

Pete DeVries
Department of Entomology
University of Wisconsin - Madison