Re: Updated GeoSpecies Data Set

From: Bernard Vatant <bernard.vatant@mondeca.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 10:24:38 +0100
To: "Daniel O'Connor" <daniel.oconnor@gmail.com>
Cc: Peter DeVries <pete.devries@gmail.com>, public-lod@w3.org
Hello Daniel

Interesting data. If I had to model them, I guess I would define one
resource for each "Species", and one for each "Sighting".
For the species, I would reuse as far as possible existing URIs, such as
http://dbpedia.org/page/Desert_Froglet for Crinia deserticola.
But certainly Peter has more precise recommandations based on his work at
"Sighting" I would model as a subtype of "Event" as defined e.g., in the
Event Ontology at http://motools.sourceforge.net/event/event.html

Now, googling for "sighting ontology" retrieves this research paper
which seems to address exactly your question ...

2009/10/27 Daniel O'Connor <daniel.oconnor@gmail.com>

> Hey, I don't suppose anyone could lend a hand modelling
> http://data.australia.gov.au/570 appropriately?

Bernard Vatant
Senior Consultant
Vocabulary & Data Engineering